Weed killer

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

gadget300
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
May 2022 11 16:31

Weed killer

Hi

With Brexit, the Ukraine war and fuel all creating supply issues I have noticed a massive hike in prices for weedkiller.

I normally buy 4*5 Lyra for about £100 this is commercial grade stuff which is diluted 40-1 so I get about 800 litres from it. Recently been seeing this for £400+. Don’t really want to move away from this as it’s good stuff, it can’t justify that price increase.

What are you guys using and how much?
RED ALERT.............

.....but Sir, that does mean changing the light bulb!
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 12 07:49

Re: Weed killer

Grounds contractor does ours as I don't have the cert for that..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 12 07:57

Same here, I'd need proper training.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 12 09:04

we too use grounds maintenance team, but i do keep a bottle of over the counter stuff (roundup usually) from the garden center to keep on top of paths etc as i can say our maintenance team keeps on top of it
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
skirbeck
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 12 09:13

as i don't have a certificate (& can't get training to get one, being private sector) i just alternate between white vinegar and salt
Knights of Skirbeck Medieval re-enactment, not so much a hobby as a way of life!
I'm so old fashioned, outside work I'm either in the 15th or 19th centuries! (Medieval or steampunk, which is best?)
Scooter
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 12 12:48

I buy the Gallup XL, its concentrated glyphosate and you only need a small amount per litre. As long as you are sensible, store it away properly and only spray it after school then you won't have any problems. It takes a good week to see the effects of it though. Officially you probably should have a licence but that's up to you.
JonOfham
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 12 17:55

I usually buy a bottle of Doff concentrated glyphosate. But that's only 1 litre making 10 litres. But like the one you use, the price has gone up considerably.

If it's commercial grade stuff i.e. approved for agricultural use, you might need a certificate to use it, but usually you won't if it's -
a) commercially available to the general public and has a MAPP/HSE registration number
2) being used on property owned by your employer

...in which case the training is arguably on the bottle/COSHH data sheet and YOU DONT NEED ANY KIND OF CERTIFICATE

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pesticides/resou ... TJMjc29hNB

If you're an LA school, however, they may have a policy against the use of glyphosate. But not all do.
gadget300
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
May 2022 12 19:00

Scooter wrote: Thu, 12th May 2022, 12:48pm I buy the Gallup XL, its concentrated glyphosate and you only need a small amount per litre. As long as you are sensible, store it away properly and only spray it after school then you won't have any problems. It takes a good week to see the effects of it though. Officially you probably should have a licence but that's up to you.
That’s what I used to get, how much you paying for it and from where?
RED ALERT.............

.....but Sir, that does mean changing the light bulb!
Scooter
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 13 07:57

gadget300 wrote: Thu, 12th May 2022, 7:00pm That’s what I used to get, how much you paying for it and from where?
It's available online for £70 for 5 litres from a company called gardeners dream.
skirbeck
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 13 09:54

i just found this on the HSE website -

Training and certification
2.1 Who must be trained in using pesticides?
By law, everyone who uses pesticides professionally must have received adequate training in using
pesticides safely and be skilled in the job they are carrying out. This applies to:
• users, operators and technicians (including contractors);
• managers;
• employers;
• self-employed people; and
• people who give instruction to others on how to use pesticides.
Knights of Skirbeck Medieval re-enactment, not so much a hobby as a way of life!
I'm so old fashioned, outside work I'm either in the 15th or 19th centuries! (Medieval or steampunk, which is best?)