Tetanus & Hep B shots?

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 20 12:22

Tetanus & Hep B shots?

Does anyone have them, paid for by the school?

Recent H & S audit suggested site staff to have...
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
May 2022 20 16:11

Re: Tetanus & Hep B shots?

If you work with drains/sewers then the school should pay for you to have the Hep B jabs. As for Tetanus, if you suffer an injury and have to go to A&E, they usually ask when did you have your last Tetanus jab. If you don't know, then they usually give you one to cover you. Even when I was H&S advisor in the building trade, I never had to arrange our guys to have Tetanus jabs.

As for Hep B, many years ago, you usually had to have a title test to check you were still covered by the vaccine approx every 4-5 years. As I understand it, they learnt that blood has memory and even if the vaccine was e.g. 10-20 years ago, your system will kick in and produce antibodies that prevents you from getting liver damage or other complications. It now lasts a lifetime apparently. So if you have had a Hep B course (3 injections) you are likely covered and won't need to have it again.

The NHS doesn't give out Hep B jabs to people anymore unless it is for a baby or you are going on holiday to a risky area (Speak to your GP about this). It is the employers responsibility to ensure you are covered and you will have to go private to get them. Some pharmacists offer the course (I used Lloyds Pharmacy to get our guys covered). https://onlinedoctor.lloydspharmacy.com ... -b-vaccine

Wow, £118 now... [JawDropped.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
adonis2
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 21 13:35

I have to empty some bins of offensive waste, nappies and pads and nothings been said about Hep B jabs to me.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 23 09:48

The school will pay as it's been advised by the H & S co. I'm just curious as it's a new one to me. Looking into it, the Hep B seems a bit excessive as it's contaminated blood that seems to be the problem - we rarely deal with blood here.
I'll go for the tetanus as it's more likely to be an issue with the sort of things we do (and unlikely to go to the hospital for minor cuts etc). Interesting to see that there were only four reported cases of tetanus in 2016 though.