Risk assessments.

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Pebble
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 21 19:50

Risk assessments.

Six months into my role as caretaker in a team of five (one being a newly appointed site manager), it seems we have generic (not site specific) risk assessments for the following:

Working at heights
Lone working
Use of ladders & steps
Use of portable scaffold tower
Manual handling

And that's it [Crazy.png]

We're a large 1300 pupil academy, so apart from those very specific "one off" RA's, what else do you think we should have as a minimum?
Forgive me asking but it's been 8 years since I last got involved with RA's and actually writing them, a bit rusty really [Disappointment.png] .
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 22 07:42

Re: Risk assessments.

Isn't writing RA's the site managers job??

General RA's are OK unless there are very specific risks peculiar to your site (overhead power lines for example)
Be careful about making them too site specific as other general risks may be overlooked.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 22 08:45

You should have RAs for everything you do that could injure you or another.

So, using tools of all types, changing bulbs...everything.

Those RAs you do have must be site specific. If they are not you run the risk of missing something relevant.

There is nothing wrong with adding or removing stuff to a generic one to make it specific, it need not be arduous.

A school that size I would expect comprehensive ( pun intended) coshh, RA, and working policies. If you really only have half a dozen risk assessments someone will end up in the poop. Make sure it's not you.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 22 13:55

This is my RA tracking register, nothing overly elegant and is a working ever evolving document. this might point you in the right direction or provide a start point but again you need to consider all aspects specific to your site
RA Register.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
Pebble
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 22 19:06

Thanks all [Like.png]