Union

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Nevets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 22 19:10

Union

Hi, I’ve been in post about 8 months and have recently been told that I aught you consider joining a union.. what is everyone’s views and if I were to join one which one would you recommend?
Thanks
adonis2
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 22 20:34

Re: Union

I was told to join a union in case of any accusations as working in a school it can be your word against the accuser.
I am in GMB but I might not bother much longer due to the political emails and thinking it is a waste of money.
Pebble
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 06:32

Unison for me [Thumb_up.png] . Only for their legal representation should you ever need it. God knows how good they would be though, don't know anybody who's ever needed it.
Glen
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 07:44

Pebble wrote: Thu, 23rd Jun 2022, 6:32am Unison for me [Thumb_up.png] . Only for their legal representation should you ever need it. God knows how good they would be though, don't know anybody who's ever needed it.
Me too....

I joined during the first lock down as I had to shield due to a --- censored word --- Immune system. I only worked 23 days from 23rd Feb '20' to the 1st April '21'. Luckily on full pay [Like.png]
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 08:34

Years ago GMB were the go to union for manual workers. Unison tends to be the choice nowadays due to their size and the support they can offer. That said the quality of individual union reps can vary - it is a bit of a lottery. If you can find out who the head doesn't like dealing with!!
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 08:55

I joined the voice (although they have changed their name now) and i think its a total waste of money... all i ever get from them is junk email... i joined at a time when like you it was recommended i join one (never needed one) and i just feel like im throwing away a£10 a month.... in fact i must get around to cancelling the subscription./ been meaning to do it for ages
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
skirbeck
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 09:01

i used to be in GMB - until i needed them and was told hard luck, we don't have a rep in your place anymore.
the wife was in Unison - until we saw them hiring coaches to transport protesters to disrupt events we were involved with.
Knights of Skirbeck Medieval re-enactment, not so much a hobby as a way of life!
I'm so old fashioned, outside work I'm either in the 15th or 19th centuries! (Medieval or steampunk, which is best?)
btrousers
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 09:20

I'm with Unite, formerly the transport and general workers union, for over 20 years. successfully used them a few times, the last time I got a very good pay out via them.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 09:35

Firstly, ABSOLUTELY join a union.
You need the protection and backup in case of an accusation against you.

I'm in a small non strike union called community it is good for me but not for everyone.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Jun 2022 23 09:51

I am in GMB, fortunately I have never needed to call on them so I don't know how useful they would be. I feel that you need to be in a union for the legal assistance if the worst happens.