Hours

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

keeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 08:17

Hours

Hi, we have a assistant here who I manage who is a very good worker and very amiable, just one tricky problem,albeit a good problem, he will continually work over his allocated time. I think there are a few H &S issues maybe? He says he does not want paying etc and is just happy to do it. I say that the school should be aware that if he needs to do extra hours to finish work than its because we havnt enough staff and that he should book the hours, also I say I should need to know who is on site after there allocated hours and why.
When the going gets tough the tough get going!
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 09:32

Re: Hours

Perhaps one way would be to get him to sign in and out as a volunteer in a register that way the school is aware of how many extra hours he is doing and also gives him a strong delineation between "work" and extra hours.
He will still be insured working as a volunteer for the school, same as parent helpers etc.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Jun 2022 23 11:22

That’s great and all that he’s happy to work longer hours and willing to do it for no extra pay but…. Maybe there is more to it? Is there something in his home/personal life that he’s trying to avoid so staying at work for “free” is a valid excuse.
It’s a difficult conversation but their has been a big push Britain Get Talking. Probably well off the mark but it’s something to consider. Is there more to it than what you know??
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 13:36

keeper wrote: Thu, 23rd Jun 2022, 8:17am Hi, we have a assistant here who I manage who is a very good worker and very amiable, just one tricky problem,albeit a good problem, he will continually work over his allocated time. I think there are a few H &S issues maybe? He says he does not want paying etc and is just happy to do it. I say that the school should be aware that if he needs to do extra hours to finish work than its because we havnt enough staff and that he should book the hours, also I say I should need to know who is on site after there allocated hours and why.
It sounds like you do know how long and why, presumably you are tasking him, but you should insist on records of hours worked and on what if you don't already know.

You are the person to note the tasks and let the school know how long they actually take.

The people here at my school are really poor at judging how long a task will take, in both directions.

H and S wise, unless they are doing crazy numbers of hours for a long period of time, it's just lone working that I can see being an issue.

But that can be risk assessed.
Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 23:20

Big problem is that he will set a precedent, then you're ham strung by his petard.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Caretaker
Jun 2022 24 14:36

Remember a favour today will be your duty tomorrow. [Cool.png]
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jun 2022 24 17:11

Would the school's insurance cover him if he isn't being paid? Would he be covered if he had an accident? I don't know your school's situation.

But we could have done with more staff with his attitude towards work. [Thumb_up.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
adonis2
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 25 19:43

He must be insured as a member of staff otherwise teaching staff would go hone at the end of the school day and not come in during the holidays [Mad.png] .
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 26 10:17

I did it all the time as it was just not a school it was my second home of which i was proud of, did lots of non caretaking work to help out and enjoyed doing it, better than driving home between split shifts and just sitting twiddling my thumbs. [Like.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)