Monthly legionella checks

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Zoltar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2022 29 12:02

Monthly legionella checks

Just been tasked with getting more of the schools health and safety paperwork up to scratch and been given a piece of paper with a few lines drawn on it to log the temps around the school.
My old school had a company come out and map out what needed to be tested and what needed to be flushed on a weekly basis as little used outlets. This was ideal as all I had to do was open the folder and the location was already there so off I went to check.

My question is, do I have to only check the sentinel outlets that are in the companies folder?
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Jul 2022 29 17:31

Re: Monthly legionella checks

Sentinels temp every month and also 10% of the other taps around the school. Every outlet should be temp checked once a year, hence the 10% of them every month.
Btw, is your name a nod to the film Big?
adonis2
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2022 30 13:07

You should have or need to get done a water risk assessment that recommends what you need to do,
it will have a schematic of your hot and cold water system.

some good info here that might help someone, https://iosh.com/media/2035/west-wales- ... r-2017.pdf

In the holidays as I walk around I flush a couple of toilets and run a few taps at random to stop water sitting in the pipes for too long.
Zoltar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2022 31 01:07

Thanks for the info. Whilst doing the start of my checks I found that even after running a tap for over 10 minutes, the cold water was over 30°c. It is a cold water storage tank that is located inside the plant room, so is a warm room in general. Think I'll be calling out our water management company on Monday to address this one. So many issues that have clearly been left to get worse over the years and now fallen to me, the newcomer to the site to fix it before our next audit.
adonis2
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2022 31 12:36

Zoltar wrote: Sun, 31st Jul 2022, 1:07am Thanks for the info. Whilst doing the start of my checks I found that even after running a tap for over 10 minutes, the cold water was over 30°c. It is a cold water storage tank that is located inside the plant room, so is a warm room in general. Think I'll be calling out our water management company on Monday to address this one. So many issues that have clearly been left to get worse over the years and now fallen to me, the newcomer to the site to fix it before our next audit.
30°C that is high, ours is above the plant room and is being chlorinated in a couple of weeks, perhaps your tank needs some extra insulation.

Our incoming mains is just over 22°C and a tank fed tap in a classroom is 23°C after running it for 15 minutes so we are all struggling to keep the temps down.
All you can do is keep running the taps and flushing toilets to get fresh water going through the tank.
Zoltar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2022 31 12:49

ElGuapo wrote: Fri, 29th Jul 2022, 5:31pm Sentinels temp every month and also 10% of the other taps around the school. Every outlet should be temp checked once a year, hence the 10% of them every month.
Btw, is your name a nod to the film Big?
Name was generated for me as I used my real name when I first joined and realized it's best not to be identified so easily
g00se
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2022 04 11:06

If your cold water is 30c you need to notify your headteacher and school business manager. I would recommend you do that in writing and keep copies just to cover yourself. If you have an outbreak there will be serious consequences and you don't want to get involved in that.
Zoltar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2022 04 11:19

g00se wrote: Thu, 4th Aug 2022, 11:06am If your cold water is 30c you need to notify your headteacher and school business manager. I would recommend you do that in writing and keep copies just to cover yourself. If you have an outbreak there will be serious consequences and you don't want to get involved in that.
I have informed our business manager and have been in contact with the company that oversaw the build. --- censored word --- law, it's defect liability period ended 2 months ago. Now I've only just been tasked with this role so I'm going to be raising questions as to who was signing off the checks prior to me.
Still getting pushed from pillar to post by the main contractor who is passing my email around to every sub contracted firm that was used.
Also found multiple issues with the majority of the water boiler units so looks like it's going to be an expensive summer for my school.