"This is a health and safety issue...."

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
May 2024 08 15:43

"This is a health and safety issue...."

Does it annoy anyone else when teachers use this phrase to try and get what they want, when it blatantly isn't a H&S issue?!

It's like they think as soon as they say it, it cannot be argued and they've use the trump card and so it MUST be done!

It really, really annoys me. I just grit my teeth get on with it because life's too short, but one day I will say "I'm actually qualified in health and safety, please could you explain to me why you've come to that conclusion, and could I see your risk assessment to back this up?"

Rant over, sorry [Mad.png]
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
May 2024 08 16:02

Re: "This is a health and safety issue...."

Totally agree, those jobs take longer [Wink.png]
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 08 16:21

Funny how those jobs always go to the back of the queue and stay there a while before being done...

Another common cry around here is "It's affecting my ability to teach the children" this one is usually to the head although she is sensible enough to sort the real need from the stampy feet brigade. These requests go even further down the queue.. [Wink.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
hendo91
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 08 16:47

Yes I have mentioned in here on a similar post we even have one that will occasionally say ''well by law'' wasn't until I blew my lid and spoke to the head about being borderline bullied and painted into corners about completing jobs on the spot that anything was done about it and our HT she is brilliant '''all job's are to be input on the job log in reception and will be catalogue and completed by the site team based on urgency, if you have concerns a job or issue may be a H&S risk myself and the site team will asses the matter and the job will be completed accordingly'' this is what's written top left hand corner of the staff room white board and has made my life 100x easier...no more post it notes or Chinese whispers the job list is where it goes or it doesn't get done
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
May 2024 08 18:26

Mine used to pull that card till the BM and I got IOSH certified. Then we just shot them down.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
Simon
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 09 07:10

I got asked to move some old gym equipment that was hanging on the wall which had been there since the 1970's and gets inspected every year to make sure it's safe. Apparently one of the PE staff suddenly decided they'd become a h&s issue despite the fact everything was still in perfect working order and they were securely attached. I didn't argue and just removed them as per instruction.
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 09 07:11

i am lucky here, as they do not often do this.
In the past i would ask them for the risk assessment they have completed that details how there is a H&S issue.
They would often come back with the age old phrase " But that's your job" so i then carry out a full RA on their class and give them a list of items that they need to address under "H&S".

A favourite was any plant they have has to, as an obvious allergy risk. They soon got the message.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 09 07:43

ElGuapo wrote: 8th May 2024 at 3:43pm Does it annoy anyone else when teachers use this phrase to try and get what they want, when it blatantly isn't a H&S issue?!

It's like they think as soon as they say it, it cannot be argued and they've use the trump card and so it MUST be done!

It really, really annoys me. I just grit my teeth get on with it because life's too short, but one day I will say "I'm actually qualified in health and safety, please could you explain to me why you've come to that conclusion, and could I see your risk assessment to back this up?"

Rant over, sorry [Mad.png]
OMG if i had a list of my biggest PEEVS this would be it.....im currently going through one as we speak to with the HT [Angry.png]
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 09 08:17

I get the temperature one whenever it gets cold and the staff say how their homes are heated to 25 degrees yadda yadda yadda.
PalaceEagles
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 09 08:32

I have to admit I'm quite lucky here. I don't think in the 2 1/2 years I've been here anymore has pulled that trick. I've had it in previous schools where the CEO pulled that card out.

I do wonder sometimes if its due to the fact that the teachers think they cleverer than us and think if I throw around statements like that it will make it seem like a bigger deal.