Purchasing

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

stunnn
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 15 13:03

Re: Purchasing

Lol... At the risk of upsetting Admin.... [JawDropped.png]

As a BM, the team always ask me to order the kit.. They just let me know what they need and I sort it out for them.
My job is to support the team and getting the right kit in is part of that..

It also means I can control the budget properly and see off less well thought out Teaching requests...

(I'll admit, I'm not a normal BM.. I work in SEN so will often be another team member clearing up / unblocking / repairing...
I just also get the joys of writing RA's, Business continuity plans, etc..)

But yes, I have found getting kit to be quite difficult some times...
My first year (2013), over the summer holidays Accounts were not in and I had no protocol to work with / access to payment methods.. That September I put in an expenses claim of ~£700... We quickly worked out a system so that didn't happen again.
PalaceEagles
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
May 2024 15 14:26

I'm quite fortunate with my place, I have a Screwfix trade card which allows me to go to B&Q as well. I can order online and go and pick it up. When I started I used to check every time I wanted to use it but now I just order. I will probably order something up to about £50, after that I will then either ask the HT or my line manager if its ok to order it. Cleaning stock/ consumables the order goes to the finance manager and she will process the order, the same goes for Amazon etc. I placed a cleaning stock order on Monday, its been processed and I'm just awaiting delivery now.

My last place was awful, it was a running joke that the orders used to get lost in the black hole, you would find what you needed, even better when it was reduced, put the order in, that then went to the office manager, she would send it off to the finance manger and she would raise a PO for it and check it over, it would then go to the director of finance, she would ok it and sign it off, then it would come back down the line to the finance manager who would normally have lost it and by the time I had chased it the deal would have gone.
Chester
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 15 14:55

Keyolder wrote: 15th May 2024 at 10:27am Academisation caused this problem for me, sadly I found no way around it… [Disappointment.png]
If anything it should be easier as you aren't constrained by the County purchasing rules.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 15 15:00

Just ordered a new fridge this morning. Click, click, click.

Just about to drop £4k on some roofing plastic.

Will be heading off to fill some minibuses with fuel later.

Credit card!!
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 15 15:06

Chester wrote: 15th May 2024 at 2:55pm If anything it should be easier as you aren't constrained by the County purchasing rules.
No but they are replaced by a whole lot more constraints imposed by the trust. [Gobsmacked.png]

It's sort of ok here but about 6 months ago I was issued a credit card to be used for emergencies. only problem is it still hasn't been activated.. [hah.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Chester
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 15 15:44

Vera wrote: 15th May 2024 at 3:06pm No but they are replaced by a whole lot more constraints imposed by the trust. [Gobsmacked.png]

It's sort of ok here but about 6 months ago I was issued a credit card to be used for emergencies. only problem is it still hasn't been activated.. [hah.png]
Depends on the Trust ,I work for a multi academy trust and it's so much easier , I can choose my own suppliers and not be held over a barrel on pricing and where I can buy from , anything under £15,000 can be approved at school level anything above goes through the CFO but we never ever have a problem as long as we have done the requisite homework and gathered the correct numbers of comparable quotes.
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 16 07:19

CT , i fondly remember the annual meeting with the bursar and HT for budget setting. Keeping within budget was a matter of pride!

I used to have the same here, but suddenly I stopped getting notified of my budgets. So, if I need something, within reason, I order it.
We have accounts with screwfix/tradepoint and amazon. we also have a school credit card. The finance assistant works in the same office so we discuss my spending quite often. Bt they never question what I order. What general staff order is scrutinised though!
I don't recall ever having any of my orders blocked.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
May 2024 16 07:29

Eddy wrote: 16th May 2024 at 7:19am CT , i fondly remember the annual meeting with the bursar and HT for budget setting. Keeping within budget was a matter of pride!

I used to have the same here, but suddenly I stopped getting notified of my budgets. So, if I need something, within reason, I order it.
We have accounts with screwfix/tradepoint and amazon. we also have a school credit card. The finance assistant works in the same office so we discuss my spending quite often. Bt they never question what I order. What general staff order is scrutinised though!
I don't recall ever having any of my orders blocked.
Stopped for me too. I had no idea what the budgets were but I did have a free hand to spend what I wanted and I was never questioned.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 16 07:35

thecaretaker wrote: 16th May 2024 at 7:29am Stopped for me too. I had no idea what the budgets were but I did have a free hand to spend what I wanted and I was never questioned.
Probably they were scared you would ask for more money because you had financial responsibility..

Or just a bursar/BM that likes the power and doesn't share well with others. [Big grin.png]

I have no idea what my budget is I just buy what is needed until they say stop (usually just before summer when I need materials for the summer work schedule.. )
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
May 2024 16 08:09

Odd, I have regular budget meetings with trust finance manager. HT knows my budget and knows it's mine. I spend it on what I know needs doing.

In the same trust at other places and talking to my fellow Site Managers, I know that is different. Weird..