Bizarre Backgrounds?

New to our forum? This is the board to introduce yourself. Say hello to other members...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

gavharland
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 08 14:34

Bizarre Backgrounds?

Hello, One and All!

Your latest ‘newbie’ checking in..... I started as caretaker in a small village primary school at the beginning of September and have just discovered your amazing forum! Before rooting around and answering 1001 of my questions, I thought it would be good to say hello and ask this: Has anyone (else!) had a bizarre route into the profession?

I was, until March, the captain of a 22 tonne 350 mph business jet..... So it’s been a bit of a change of direction for me; I’ve been a pilot all my life. That said; after the initial shock, depression and anger, once I had accepted my lot, I am really enjoying the new job. I work with a very friendly and supportive staff and for a great headteacher. I get home at the end of a day physically exhausted, but feeling like I’ve done something really worthwhile.

I’ve gained a fair amount of practical experience over the years, building bits of houses and several cars and I have an ancient degree in Electronic Engineering (not quite themionic valves, but not far off!) so I hope I can bring something to the forum, too.
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Oct 2020 08 14:57

Re: Bizarre Backgrounds?

Welcome Gav,

Sounds like you are a rare 'un, having a supportive headteacher! A rare beast indeed these days.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 08 15:51

Yes, welcome to the site. Nice to have someone with an aviation background. Ask away any caretaker/ site manager questions. Bear in mind though, that when I want to ask about the finer points of " Droops", you might need to answer that one! Welcome again! -Big grin.png-
You see, Rock and Roll isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force. It's something very essential. - The Edge.
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 08 16:05

Welcome to a great website, but I must ask, are you using your actual name, if so I would change it if I was you, as you never know who’s reading your post. Enjoy your new career my friend.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 08 17:04

Rockstar wrote: Thu, 8th Oct 2020, 3:51pm Yes, welcome to the site. Nice to have someone with an aviation background. Ask away any caretaker/ site manager questions. Bear in mind though, that when I want to ask about the finer points of " Droops", you might need to answer that one! Welcome again! -Big grin.png-
I personally prefer "blown flaps" but droops or slats will do fine to get you off the ground quick smart.

Welcome Gavharland, Aviation anecdotes are always welcome...
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 08 17:14

Welcome aboard -Scared.png- wow that is some bizarre background you have, Airbus to minibus in one fell swoop (sorry could not resist it) -Scared.png-
Sounds like a good school you’ve landed on, friendly staff plus a supportive HT -Like.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 08 17:53

Welcome -Waving.png- I can see you getting roped in to driving the school mini -bus
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 08 18:44

Nice to have you with us Captain, me i used to jump out of perfectly good aircraft. -Big grin.png- -Crazy.png-

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
lesbedford
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 09 08:54

Hello & welcome aboard, you will find a lot of us came from service back grounds, me i was in Royal Navy for 8yrs. -Waving.png-
MAN. UNITED RULE OK.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 09 09:14

Welcome aboard!

I was a secondary school business manager who enjoyed the more hands on elements and hated the stress so I made the leap.

There was a piece on Radio 5's "Drive In" yesterday that was looking at the govt advice to change career if your industry as impacted by Covid. It developed into a phone-in for people who had experienced radical changes in their careers. One such caller was a pilot who had become a painter. Another texted to say that he bet he'd make a good job of the landings!! I love a recycled classic.

Good luck.
gavharland
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 09 14:42

Thank you all for your wishes -Like.png-

Seems there are some interesting back-stories out there!

EBJ: I prefer to keep the number of take offs and landings in my logbook the same.
Lesbedford: I prefer those landings to be on an airfield that stays where I left it!
All flying and military related banter / chat most welcome!! (Ex RAF, several lives ago....)

G
UnderPaid
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 09 15:06

EBJ wrote: Thu, 8th Oct 2020, 6:44pm Nice to have you with us Captain, me i used to jump out of perfectly good aircraft. -Big grin.png- -Crazy.png-
Have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPC_h9Vmlxw
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 09 16:00

UnderPaid wrote: Fri, 9th Oct 2020, 3:06pm Have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPC_h9Vmlxw
I was not that mad to jump into a net but mad enough to enjoy every jump i did do. -Big grin.png-

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right