🧯 Fire Marshal

New to our forum? This is the board to introduce yourself. Say hello to other members...

Moderators: jay, inspector, Dragonrider, thecaretaker

Marsh Harrier
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 02 16:50

🧯 Fire Marshal

Hi All, new to the site and job of site manager.
Is there any good material to view out there for how to go about creating a good fire procedure for school sites.
Recently had a fire drill and was shocked of how bad it was in my opinion, I want to see if I cant introduce a better procedure for the school for the September return. Thanks in advance.

-Wink.png-
Marsh
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2020 02 21:56

Re: 🧯 Fire Marshal

I'm sure some of the members can point you in the right direction. Anything in our guides section that might be helpful? viewforum.php?f=44
fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)

trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 03 06:30

Hi bro. Have a read through the BB100. It points out a lot of good info. Also available is the RRFSO 2005. A long read but worth it.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus, Mortiti.
Buffer
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 03 08:43

Marsh Harrier wrote: ↑Thu, 2nd Jul 2020, 4:50pm Hi All, new to the site and job of site manager.
Is there any good material to view out there for how to go about creating a good fire procedure for school sites.
Recently had a fire drill and was shocked of how bad it was in my opinion, I want to see if I cant introduce a better procedure for the school for the September return. Thanks in advance.

-Wink.png-
Just being nosey what went wrong?
jholden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 03 09:54

Like most around the country, our local Fire Service (West Midlands) offer a lot of good courses. One they do that I can highly recommend if your local service offers a similar one, is a two day 'Managing Fire Safety' course, the certificate lasts two years, then you do a 1 day refresher to get recertified. If like me, you are one who is delegated (on a day to day basis) to oversee fire safety, it's excellent.
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 03 13:06

Last time I went on a course, within the last year, I went with my HT and DHT. We were told that although the caretaker/site managers were the obvious choices for fire marshals, they shouldn't even be considered.

The thought process for this would be that as a CT/SM you would probably be dealing with the panel and/or fire brigade, so you can't do that and clear a building as well.

I was, and still am a marshal, but may be worth thinking about.
StNick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2020 01 18:37

Hello, although I’m new to the site and fairly new to caretaking, communication is key to evacuations. Ensure that all key staff know the nearest escape, and an alternative. Ensure that staff are aware of other responsibilities too, who checks the toilets and cloakrooms. Practice doesn’t always make perfect, but always makes improvements.
Whatever you do, Always do your Best. You can’t do better than your Best. You can always get better, but you still need to do your Best