Back in the Business

New to our forum? This is the board to introduce yourself. Say hello to other members...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

FilthyRaider
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 08 14:31

Back in the Business

So five years ago I was made redundant from my caretaking job. Let's just say I signed an NDA when I left, but never got to the bottom of why. New Head came in, all seemed good then within a year she'd taken my room away, started what was effectively a constructive dismissal, I got another job (nights at a hotel so I was doing both at one point!), and the Union actually came through with a redundancy package and I walked. Yes, the school reappointed a Site Supervisor six months after. I wasn't the only one to go, the WHOLE office staff walked, and one particular teacher left in a firestorm.....Nuff said.

So start of the year I was redundant again, this time by the hotel, due to this pandemic, been trying all sorts of areas to get back into, but just kept coming back to Caretaking. Out of the blue after several months unemployment I am a newly appointed Site Manager, with not one, not two but three small schools to run. Hitting the ground running does not describe it. Early days but nice to be back on here.
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2021 08 15:34

Re: Back in the Business

Wow, you sound like you had it rough, hopefully you are not spreading yourself too thin, three schools!
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 08 17:22

My Union and I negotiated a Without Prejudice agreement, Similar to your Non- Disclosure agreement. Once out I organized my early retirement and moved lock stock and barrel to Torrevieja Spain, Good luck in your new roles. -Cool.png-
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 08 19:38

Skoolkeeper is the one who has this whole thing sussed. I am enjoying this weather in my garden. It must be incredible to have it for most of the year.
TheRat
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 09 07:29

Welcome back I hope you have a better experience this time. Three school is a lot to take on but see how it goes. Dont forget if your struggling now because of the work once you have it how you want you will be alright.
Hope you have a better team around you this time round and ask if your not sure -Like.png- -Like.png-
Living The Dream of Dreams -Like.png-
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 10 10:36

Drone wrote: Tue, 8th Jun 2021, 7:38pm Skoolkeeper is the one who has this whole thing sussed. I am enjoying this weather in my garden. It must be incredible to have it for most of the year.
Thank you Drone and I hope all is well in your world. Yes I walk out everyday, I do not have a car, although I have exchanged my UK licence to a Spanish driving licence, but on receiving my residency last August I received my free Citizen bus travel pass, my local buses run every half hour. My local beach is less than a 5 minute walk away, just at the top of my road, my local bar Cafe Del Mar is a 2 minute walk away and I visit most days and is very friendly with Spanish and other nationalities, as for Brits there are some, but not many around here, There are more bars/restaurants/local shops all within a 10 minute walk. The main Town centre of Torrevieja is a 20 minute walk or a short bus ride, there are also out of town shopping centres, again walkable = 30 minutes or a bus ride. The urbanization gated community I live on is relatively small compared to some, but we do have a beautiful swimming pool, which is open everyday and the gardens/grounds/external buildings are kept clean and tidy by the maintenance team, the community charge for this service is 350 euro a year from each property. I have found the Spanish people very friendly and helpful and they do appreciate when you try to converse in Spanish ( I know a little? ) and yes you do have good and bad in all walks of life, The police forces are more visible here and personally I like to see that and think its great and I feel people here have more respect for them, the Police are very approachable and always chatting to the public, I would also say I would not like to argue with them!! I also know my neighbours well in the 18 months I have lived here, more so than my neighbours in the village in Suffolk where I lived for nearly 10 years, before I moved out. Obviously with the covid pandemic, we here in Spain have had tough lock-downs over the last year or more, but the Valencian Government have worked hard, bringing our region down to the lowest in Spain, there are still a lot of rules and regs, but everyone adheres to the rules, You have to!! Stay safe and healthy my friends and keep in touch, Going to the beach now. -Cool.png-