Hacked trees

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: jay, inspector, Dragonrider, thecaretaker

Sharky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 20 14:10

Hacked trees

Earlier in the year we declined a request to have some trees cut back. Their reasoning was leaf fall and couldn't sunbathe!! I mean is that the best they had? we got professional advice and an inspection carried out which resulted in decision. i have now been up into the woodland to find that the tree in question has been Badly hacked the branches cut then snapped off tearing the limbs back. on top of that they have dumped all of it into the school grounds. We now have asked our contractor back to re inspect the tree. What legal rights would we have? -Angry.png-
"Can you just?....."
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2020 20 14:31

Re: Hacked trees

If the trees were hanging over their land, they are entitled to cut back any overhanging branches but the law states they must put all the cut branches on your land.

The law is there so neighbours cannot be accused of pinching fruit (like apples) from your trees.

It's unfortunate, but they are perfectly in their right to do it. I've done it to my neighbours bushes/trees. You can't cut tree/bushes and dispose of the debris as that is considered stealing (they can take you to court for theft).

Nothing more strange than the law... -Scared.png-
fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)

UnderPaid
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 20 14:41

Re: HACKED TREES

They are permitted to cut back any branches overhanging but must be done correctly causing no lasting damage to the tree. They are required by law to offer the branches to the tree owner and not throw them back over the fence as this could be classed as fly tipping.
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.
beagle
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 20 14:49

I they undertake the work then I understand that they must remove their own waste. So any branches removed by them are their responsibility.

Now proving that they done it is another matter entirely.
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain".
Hey Wayne
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 20 15:55

Just get your tree guy to write a report and if they have caused damage to the tree or cut back more than was overhanging I would present them with the bill for any remedial work necessary.
When they fail to pay up as they will, you can either take it to the small claims court or just forget about it knowing that they know that you know what they did..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Sharky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 21 09:01

Out with the chainsaw then i guess. start chopping up those branches!! -Loud.png-
"Can you just?....."
Hey Wayne
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 21 09:45

Sharky wrote: ↑Tue, 21st Jul 2020, 9:01am Out with the chainsaw then i guess. start chopping up those branches!! -Loud.png-
just be careful chainsaws are nasty machines...
Sharky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 21 09:48

Hey Wayne wrote: ↑Tue, 21st Jul 2020, 9:45am just be careful chainsaws are nasty machines...
Got/ Had my cert for them many years ago.. still got most of the Safety kit. but thanks for the concern. i know there are folks who go gun blazing and not know what they doing with a pair of shorts on. sends shivers down ones spine.. -Shock.png-
"Can you just?....."
Hey Wayne
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 21 10:55

Sharky wrote: ↑Tue, 21st Jul 2020, 9:48am Got/ Had my cert for them many years ago.. still got most of the Safety kit. but thanks for the concern. i know there are folks who go gun blazing and not know what they doing with a pair of shorts on. sends shivers down ones spine.. -Shock.png-
I know what you mean.. A bit like amatuer electricians...-Like.png-
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 21 15:02

Any branches crossing a boundary can be removed but only to the boundary. Any further is theft and an act of trespass. Any cut branches must be offered to the owner of the tree but not dumped without asking for permission. That is fly tipping. Proving they did it would need the police to rank it an important offence. They will not and you have to accept they have got away with it.
Eastcaretaker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 21 21:41

Try not to hack trees and branches in bird nesting season as could offence if nests are found with eggs in it