What do you recycle?

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2020 13 21:40

What do you recycle?

I used to recycle paper until our local collection service was disbanded. It was run by community service people but was told there wasn't enough money to make it sustainable. But hopefully, things have moved forward in recent years. -Confused.png-

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)

Dunroamin
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 14 11:08

Re: What do you recycle?

At home, I try to recycle as much as possible, and have done since the early 90s (we lived in Germany previously and got used to a general waste and cardboard collection fortnightly, with a plastic/glass collection every 4 weeks). Within school, we have 3 large general waste wheelie bins, and one large cardboard/paper/plastic wheelie bin. Despite every classroom having a general bin and a paper bin, for some reason staff/pupils seem to just use whichever bin is nearest. I used to sift through and separate as much as possible, until I found out that when the large bins get emptied, they all go in the same truck!!! I now keep any clean cardboard boxes, throw them in my car every Monday and drop them off at the recycling centre on my way home mid-morning.
davy1921
Sep 2020 14 11:56

I recycle paper cans plastic and glass the local council bill my school. At home we have a very good recycling regime as the council encourage it.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 14 12:10

All dry mixed recycling here. two sets of 1100 bins.

4 General waste and 2 recycling. I try my best to separate but we all know who can't be bothered and just use the nearest bin.
A new one is when used tissues and wet paper towels are put into the recycling bags (it's paper right?) there is a lidded bin in every room for used tissues. -Confused.png-
I point blank refuse to sort such waste and the whole lot goes in a bin liner in the bin.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2020 14 13:06

At home, and in the office, I recycle paper, cardboard, glass, plastic into the council collection bins.
I also have a council garden bin for garden waste that won't compost in my own garden, branches, twigs etc. It's very rarely big enough for the amount of prunings my garden creates, and what will compost goes into my 7 cubic meter compost bin. It rarely gets full and creates the best compost for the garden pretty quickly. I've even had local gardeners asking for some bags from my bin in return for an occasional tidy up around my garden.

Any paper with my name or address on is shredded and goes into my compost bin to lighten the grass clippings along with a handful of Sulphate of Ammonia (the active ingredient in Garotta) all of which speeds up the composting.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 14 14:48

at school we have:

paper card and plastics recycling
food
general waste

at home it all goes in general waste (live on a council estate and the communual bins dont cater for recycling
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff -Success.png-
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 14 15:55

Here in Torrevieja Spain, we recycle about everything, as there are large recycling trade bins mostly at the end of each road here in one form or another, so yes we do our bit for the environment, probably more here, than we did in the uk.
scrubadub
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 14 16:31

I live on the county border and we are able to recycle nearly everything. MY in laws live over the border (8 miles away) and they can't recycle half of what we can, yet both councils use the same recycling facility. -Scared.png-
Lift your face to the sun, then the shadows will fall behind you.