Funding for roof repairs

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Sgtspite1968
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 12 17:11

Funding for roof repairs

Not sure if this is the right section to post but here goes!

We are a maintained foundation school and as such our funding is as a normal maintained school but we own the land/buildings etc.
a few years back we bought a building next door to the school from the local authority at some would say a bargain price, but tbh the place was falling apart! I recommended the usual full inspection survey yadda yadda, but the school just wanted to get moved in asap but this is where the fun started.

The heating system was shot to pieces, the roof leaked like a very leaky sieve, the foul waste drains had collapsed the window frames were falling out, the electrics where just waiting for someone to switch anything on so they could burn the place down! all in all a complete mess!

Now with much persuasion I managed to get them (LEA) to fork out for a new heating system (Although only the boilers themselves were updated) and replacement windows, but they wouldn't touch the roof. now fast forward 8 years and the roof is in such poor condition that no roofing company will touch it (They break more tiles just getting to the one's they need to fix)

So now i have been trying to contact anyone in the LEA to arrange funding to replace the roof, but they say as we are a foundation school we do not qualify and as we are not an academy we do not qualify for Cif.

So anyone else out there at a foundation school know how we could apply for funding and who to?
tykeman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 12 19:48

Re: Funding for roof repairs

Having worked in 2 Maintained Foundation schools at the same time, we funded all our major projects through the LA VAP fund ( Local Association Voluntary Aided Programme) Each Local Association is given a lump sum by Government and Foundation schools are allowed to apply for funding for major projects such as new buildings and major projects. I presume this funding is still available. Contact your LA and ask about this funding. Hope this helps -Like.png-
Get out there and do it to them, before they do it to you
Bigbear69
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 13 06:55

I hope you are in a paid position high enough to worry about this. For most of us this is the the job of a business manager or finance officer. Sounds like a lot of stress
Sgtspite1968
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 20 19:53

Yep, stress central. i am doing this at the same time as unblocking toilets lol!
Thanks for the advance everyone, hopefully i can get some pennies as without it the building will become unusable.

-Like.png-