Grants

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Cordell007
Dec 2020 07 19:50

Grants

Hi, I just wanted to say a quick hello to all and ask a question about eco grants/ideas.
Is anybody thinking about having electric car charging points installed on their site, or photovoltaic cells or getting a grant to do either?

Thanks

Richard
JonOfham
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 07 21:19

Re: Grants

I can't imagine it being a high priority for many schools. Maybe when they start investing in electric minibuses.
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 07 21:21

Hi Cordell007, firstly welcome to the site.
This has briefly crossed my mind, well the photovoltaic side anyway.
While I understand with many new build schools this can be standard as part of the build it’s not so easy with existing “ageing premises”
When trawling through my LA’s acceptable programs schedule of possible works they clearly state that the school has NO authority to accept or should consider applying for grants either though the LA or a company saying “we can guarantee” this works funding to reduce energy bills or consumption.
Basically no, any any enquiries must be passed directly to the LA. A bit of a minefield really so quickly passed over.........
As for electric charging points, definitely not... Staff already hang around far past the official leaving time of an evening without giving them the extra excuse of “oh no, sorry ! Forgot to plug in. I need at least another hour” ---- (The word only permitted in December) ---_snowbal-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2020 07 23:56

I think as EVs become the norm, any employer is going to have to look at providing chargers for its employees. Many forward thinking firms are installing them now.

There are government schemes to fund chargers at schools for staff and visitors. When I had the full site I had a page explaining how schools could go about getting this funding. Unfortunately, it has gone now.

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 08 08:36

thecaretaker wrote: Mon, 7th Dec 2020, 11:56pm I think as EVs become the norm, any employer is going to have to look at providing chargers for its employees. Many forward thinking firms are installing them now.
To be contentious - why?

We don't have a petrol pump installed for our employees now.
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 08 11:51

1/ Staff will fight over charging points
2/ As said they will want to stay late "my battery is nearly flat I can`t get home"
3/ Are staff going to pay for it?
4/Would be worth me considering electric car and charge at the weekend ---- (The word only permitted in December) ---_cool-
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 08 12:06

Nail wrote: Tue, 8th Dec 2020, 8:36am To be contentious - why?

We don't have a petrol pump installed for our employees now.
I have considered this in the past. It does seem a little odd to require an employer to provide something because of the limitations in technology..

I can also foresee arguments as teachers aren't going to move their car from the charging point during the day (they are teaching and cannot possibly do that... seems ok to go to the photocopier or staff room toilets though..) so what then? a charge point for all of them?
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 08 12:28

Vera wrote: Tue, 8th Dec 2020, 12:06pm I have considered this in the past. It does seem a little odd to require an employer to provide something because of the limitations in technology..

I can also foresee arguments as teachers aren't going to move their car from the charging point during the day (they are teaching and cannot possibly do that... seems ok to go to the photocopier or staff room toilets though..) so what then? a charge point for all of them?
That's a good point!

If there are only limited charging points, how do we decide who gets to use them? How do I limit someone from parking there, even if not charging. Seems like more hassle than it's worth to me.
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 08 12:30

Nail wrote: Tue, 8th Dec 2020, 12:28pm That's a good point!

If there are only limited charging points, how do we decide who gets to use them? How do I limit someone from parking there, even if not charging. Seems like more hassle than it's worth to me.
If it involves CO`s it would be a nightmare ---- (The word only permitted in December) ---_cry-
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 08 12:58

A few years back there were grants available for schools to have an EV charge point installed totally free, some took up the offer some didn’t.

I can imagine disgruntled staff saying it’s not fair, how come she/he gets free fuel when I have to pay for mine…

Solar panels is another sore point with LEA people, I tried but was told no twice…
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 08 13:17

Well I guess being the ones that open up and get in first, we would get first dibs on teh charger.... ---- (The word only permitted in December) ---_laugh-
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 08 13:26

Nail wrote: Tue, 8th Dec 2020, 1:17pm Well I guess being the ones that open up and get in first, we would get first dibs on teh charger.... ---- (The word only permitted in December) ---_laugh-
I bet the HT with the Tesla would get first dibs... ---- (The word only permitted in December) ---_lipsrsealed-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2020 10 08:43

This page might offer some help regarding the grant for chargers...
https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/charging-work

Also: https://pod-point.com/campaigns/electric-schools

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)