Biodegradable bin bags

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Rawesie
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 05 13:53

Biodegradable bin bags

Now then, the powers that be have asked me to look into biodegradable bin bags for our general waste bins around school. Currently going through about 50 bags per week so I can see their point about it being quite alot of single use plastic overtime (although, admittedly if less waste was produced then this would also help)
What do you all think - Good? Bad? Good idea but don't hold up when rammed full by the edumacated types? They're full of non-recyclable waste that's going in landfil anyway?

Cheers folks
Rawesie

Sparky God, Ex fire alarm engineer and Royal Engineer veteran

"There's no such thing as problems - just opportunities for solutions...
...unless a teacher is involved, then you're gonna have problems"
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 05 14:46

Re: Biodegradable bin bags

We have a lot of waste that goes to landfill but this is mainly down to poor separation of the waste. Waste to recycling is 5/2 for us.

Most of the school waste should be recyclable, food and the containers being an exception.

I can see why biodegradable bin bags might be nice, but if it gets incinerated it probably wont matter.
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 05 15:20

Just requested a sample from here https://www.polybags.co.uk/index.htm
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Bigbear69
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 05 16:24

I think it depends how they dispose of your waste in your county. If its incinerator then there is no point but maybe for landfill.
I seem to remember they were a bit thin a liable to split.

Bags made from recycled plastic is a better option as its reusing the plastic already in the system.

I would just go with whatever bag works and not be too bothered about what the biodegradable or recyclable option is, as what we do in this country makes such a minute difference compared to the world problems of plastic pollution.
Go with whats best for your budget that doesn't split
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 05 18:13

This was about 6-7 years ago so the technology/quality may have changed but we trialled biodegradable bags for a brief period and then stopped because they were so weak that the cleaners were spending half their time picking rubbish off the floor after the bags split even when they nowhere near full. They then started double/triple-bagging the rubbish and it made this expensive and probably not worth it from an environmentally friendly standpoint.
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 11 14:02

Something to bear in mind is the proposed Resources & waste strategy

"The proposal for biodegradable, bio-based and compostable
plastic packaging to be deemed non-recyclable under EPR, and
whether there could be any unintended consequences"

If they can`t recycle it do they dig a hole and bury it so that is rots down, what impact does this have on waste treatment

Resources and Waste Strategy Key Design Phase Ver5 .pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
capri1600l
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 10 09:33

This is something I’ve wanted to do, but the waste company, are of no help, they provide a paper/cardboard bin and then 3 general waste bins, it’s very difficult to separate a lot of the classroom waste especially when paper towels are being put in the recycling bins in class. But then I found out shortly after starting at this school, the waste company just collects all waste in one truck, so what is the point in me separating it.
But yes biodegradable bin bags that are strong enough for school use would be wonderful.
CAPRI1600L
:beer: