Halogen lamps and flourescent tubes banned.

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

beagle
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 09 10:31

Halogen lamps and flourescent tubes banned.

Halogen lamps will be banned from sale from September, with fluorescent tubes to follow. We are fully LED but I guess that this will affect a lot of schools.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57407233
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain".
adonis2
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 09 21:58

Re: Halogen lamps and flourescent tubes banned.

I had better stock up,
stash a load along with the 100 watt incandescent bulbs that I stockpiled. -Thumb_up-
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 10 15:27

Perhaps this will get many schools to upgrade thier lighting.

Andy
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2021 10 23:14

adonis2 wrote: Wed, 9th Jun 2021, 9:58pm I had better stock up,
stash a load along with the 100 watt incandescent bulbs that I stockpiled. -Thumb_up-
I wouldn't. Your lecky bill must be astronomic compared to a school using LED alternatives. Decent LED retrofit lamps can also outlast halogen and incandescent bulbs up to 5 times or more. I say decent as unfortunately there are many cheap imports that you can buy off of Amazon/ebay that won't. But go to a quality electrical supplier and you can get well made replacement LEDs.

In the long run, you are better off replacing the lighting units for purpose made LEDs.

Apparently I read, thanks to councils replacing street lighting lamps and households installing LED (as well as making white goods more economical to run), the nations electricity requirement has been cut by 20% in the last 5 years.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 11 08:10

thecaretaker wrote: Thu, 10th Jun 2021, 11:14pm I wouldn't. Your lecky bill must be astronomic compared to a school using LED alternatives. Decent LED retrofit lamps can also outlast halogen and incandescent bulbs up to 5 times or more. I say decent as unfortunately there are many cheap imports that you can buy off of Amazon/ebay that won't. But go to a quality electrical supplier and you can get well made replacement LEDs.

In the long run, you are better off replacing the lighting units for purpose made LEDs.

Apparently I read, thanks to councils replacing street lighting lamps and households installing LED (as well as making white goods more economical to run), the nations electricity requirement has been cut by 20% in the last 5 years.
I have just ordered 7 LED flat panel drop in grid system Lights they were £30+VAT each from my local electrical suppliers they are Ansell branded ones with a 5 year guarantee. Would have paid more than that for a new set of lamps for the old fittings.

Surely the 20% is a reduction of just the listed items and not the nation as a whole. There are more people, more houses more EV's that must be placing a larger demand on the grid?
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2021 11 09:39

Vera wrote: Fri, 11th Jun 2021, 8:10am Surely the 20% is a reduction of just the listed items and not the nation as a whole. There are more people, more houses more EV's that must be placing a larger demand on the grid?
According to the National Grid, overall we are using 16% less electricity than we did in 2002 (the article takes figures from 2019). Have a look at this page https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/jo ... les-busted

Screenshot 2021-06-11 095308.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
beagle
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 11 10:44

Our leccy bill has gone down £8k per year since we switched to LED.
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain".
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 12 11:54

adonis2 wrote: Wed, 9th Jun 2021, 9:58pm I had better stock up,
Why?!