Animals in school

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

gregincardiff
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 11 14:54

Animals in school

I know small animals are kept in schools
I was wondering if any one keeps or has heard of any bigger animals in their schools. I was thinking of sheep.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 11 14:55

Re: Animals in school

gregincardiff wrote: Sat, 11th Sep 2021, 2:54pm I know small animals are kept in schools
I was wondering if any one keeps or has heard of any bigger animals in their schools. I was thinking of sheep.
I was thinking of Victorian Head Teachers myself. -Crazy.png-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Sep 2021 11 16:02

We have about 420 mid sized and around 50 large animals.roaming the school every day.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Sep 2021 11 17:29

There was talk of having a farm at my school. Thankfully, it never materialised. Animals would probably die of starvation during the holidays... Like all the fish used to. -Scared.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 13 07:54

gregincardiff wrote: Sat, 11th Sep 2021, 2:54pm I know small animals are kept in schools
I would get in a vet to speak to those who would be tasked to look after the sheep.
He will soon figure out that the school has no idea how to look after them.

Failing that watch a few episodes of Clarkson's farm to get some idea of what is involved.

If I were you I would have literally nothing to do with the idea
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 13 13:23

We've had chickens before but they need a space of thier own.

There is a current move to introduce animals here, goats or some such but I have explained I will have no part in looking after animals which I think was the expectation.

It's a lovely idea to have animals onsite but the workload is having trouble finding a home.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Sep 2021 13 16:27

There is a private school near me which practically has its own farm with pigs, goats and donkeys, but they have acres of space and a large site team to care for them. I would be wary as we all know how quickly teachers lose interest in easier to look after hamsters, houseplants etc. so it would probably mean a lot of extra work and might even mean taking leave is more difficult if no-one wants to come in to feed or muck out the animals when you are on holiday. We have talked about it at my school a few times and I am not completely against it but it looks like all the extra work involved would go to me so it has never gone anywhere. Also if money is tight, where is the money for feed and vets bills coming from?
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 22 10:15

We had chickens and ducks for a few years the way round all the hoops you have to go through if you live on site is to say they are the caretakers. be warned they are a pain in the backside all good the first month everyone very keen to muck in then after that its all down to you holidays the lot. The fox got in twice and did what foxes do leaving me to get more chickens before the kids came back Monday .If I could give you any advice don't do it just quote heath and safety regs they must do first that will put them off . https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... al-contact -Like.png-
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Sep 2021 22 11:39

We have the usual rabbit, guinea pigs, fish nothing overly interesting but this morning I has a call from my BM asking if I could go to the SENDco office as her PC had stopped working.
I then find out she had brought the rabbit into her office while she was with a child……
any guesses what had happened ?
Blooming thing had chewed through the telephone cable, the printer cable, the Ethernet cable and made a good start on power lead !!! One more bite and we would have been saying goodbye -Scared.png-
Had to replace a 4, not a problem but I did ask for animals to be kept out of offices for this reason, no one seemed bothered -Confused.png-
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Proud to be retired
Sep 2021 22 12:27

Back in the early seventies I heard of a caretaker that kept goats and a donkey in his garden, however he was a bit strange and didn’t last that long in the job.

I’ve looked after goldfish guinea pigs a worm farm plus some enormous snails and twice hatched chicks all for our early years centre, the novelty soon wears off with the clever ones leaving yours truly to do the cleaning out.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-