Old School Chairs

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

BillNomis
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 13 17:33

Old School Chairs

We have just had a delivery of new school chairs and have approx. 300+ old plastic seat/metal leg style school chairs cluttering up our site. has anyone any idea of a charity what would like to take them off our hands? I'm sure they've got a few more year of use in them still. If not a charity, is there a company in the South of England that might take them away with no/very little costs.

Let me know if you know of anyone.
eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 13 21:40

Re: Old School Chairs

Local scrap man. Our local scrap yard let's schools have free skips for metal. You don't pay for the skip,but you don't get any cash .
You may someone that will ship them to Africa for a school out there.
-Kiss.png- I AM A REALIST NOT A PESSOMIST
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Oct 2021 13 23:00

I got rid of a load to the local Lions charity that shipped them out to a school in Africa somewhere.
jaycclayton
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 09:03

I'm in interested in getting the school involved with giving our chairs for Africa,. does anyone else have experience or links to a charity that will take them. Did a search but not much coming up
beagle
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 10:58

We put ours on Facebook market place, they all went in a couple of days. Arranged collection for after school.
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain".
PAUL.C
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 14:07

BillNomis wrote: Wed, 13th Oct 2021, 5:33pm We have just had a delivery of new school chairs and have approx. 300+ old plastic seat/metal leg style school chairs cluttering up our site. has anyone any idea of a charity what would like to take them off our hands? I'm sure they've got a few more year of use in them still. If not a charity, is there a company in the South of England that might take them away with no/very little costs.

Let me know if you know of anyone.
Try these guys fantastic bunch of guys. https://www.npac.org.uk
Is it that TIME already
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 15:00

My local scrapman comes round at the end of every holiday or if I call him and takes whatever I have.
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 15 07:39

jaycclayton wrote: Thu, 14th Oct 2021, 9:03am I'm in interested in getting the school involved with giving our chairs for Africa,. does anyone else have experience or links to a charity that will take them. Did a search but not much coming up
Be careful, when I was looking quite a few years ago now, the only ones I could find at the time, either weren't interested because they were too old, or actually wanted to charge quite a bit to come and take them away.

I'm all for charity, and even paying a nominal amount to get rid, but around the £600-700 mark, no thanks!!

Some went to the scrap man, the rest went in a large skip for about £300.
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 15 09:09

We or I have dune both as anything is to much like hard work for the school to be involved. I contacted a local charity and sent loads to Gambia I now do both look up https://www.freecycle.org/
last time I advertised chairs they were queuing up to take them anything even fire wood has gone -Wink.png-
DanCotton
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 15 11:00

We offered our old school desks and chairs to parents for a few quid and they cleared us out in a couple of days, made some much needed money for the school too