🦠 Lockdown is back

Use this board to ask questions and discuss about health and fitness to work issues...

Moderators: jay, inspector, Dragonrider, thecaretaker

Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2020 31 11:25

🦠 Lockdown is back

Well, after the stupidity of so many people over the last few fine weekends in my area, and the attitude from the cities around here, that Lockdown has been lifted, it must be fine to mingle, to get drunk, to go visit other households, gardens etc, after all, if Boris has lifted it, this pandemic must be over.

Bradford, Keighley and Ilkley are now all back in Lockdown, no visiting other household's houses or gardens. Am I surprised, no! How did Forest Gump put it?

Stupid is as Stupid Does?
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2020 31 11:51

Re: 🦠 Lockdown is back

I bet my town will follow soon. The seafront was packed with day trippers yesterday, hardly any were keeping their distance. I was sat in a traffic jam and just watched them as they had a day at the seaside. Most have probably come down from London. A few were wearing masks, but not many.

Cafes' and Bars were packed to the gunnels. People were queuing for the attractions. Kids running around between other visitors, people crossing the road arm in arm obviously very merry from drink or drugs.

I'm sure some will have the virus and be spreading it about the town. I'm staying indoors under the aircon today as with the heat forecast for today, it will only be worse. They should have kept the town closed and told everyone to stay away. I think most local people behaved themselves during lockdown, only to have all that hard work wasted by a load of visiting morons.

Na, as long as some folk have a day at the seaside they don't care about the virus or who they give it to.
fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)

Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 31 12:04

NHS England have "paused" from issuing daily & overall death tolls. Who gave that order, I wonder.?
Hey Wayne
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 31 12:17

Drone wrote: ↑Fri, 31st Jul 2020, 12:04pm NHS England have "paused" from issuing daily & overall death tolls. Who gave that order, I wonder.?
I think the government are starting to see the storm on the horizon from the mishandling of this pandemic and the excess deaths that their policies have caused.

What's the first thing to do if the statistics start to make you look bad? halt the statistics of course.
They will come up with some other way to try and convince us they are doing something.. remember the R rate funny how that's not mentioned now is it...?
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 31 12:23

I still fear, as I have from the first month of lock down, that we will have close to 60,000 dead by late autumn
seedfut
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 31 14:17

R rate seems to have vanished, it has been replaced by cases per 100,00. Last i saw 60-70 uk cases per 100,000. Spain 16.
We are near Leicester. Guess where they all came shopping when leicester locked down.
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2020 31 15:03

The police here have had to close a foot bridge across the Wharfe to stop idiots from gatherng on the shingle beaches and TOMBSTONING! The river below the bridge is about 12-18 INCHES in depth and the river bottom is not gravel or silt, but stones, large ones at that!

So that ties up numerous PCSO's who could be better deployed elsewhere I'm sure.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2020 31 15:26

My own feeling is it wouldn't have mattered what government was in power, mistakes would have been made by any of them. Coronavirus was an unknown and it took time to understand how it spread and what its effects were. Yes, in hindsight some decisions might not have been the right ones, but hindsight is always 20/20.

I really hope all parties can work together to support the nation as a whole. This virus is far from over yet and far too early for politicians to start a blame game.
fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)

Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 31 19:52

My wife was due to fly from Alicante to stansted tomorrow, but has definitely changed her mind now after seeing how things are in England. Even though she was expected to quarantine for her time visiting her mother. Stay safe and healthy everyone -Waving.png-
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2020 01 09:35

Simple facts. The virus will only stop when we either come up with a vaccine or people keep apart totally and long enough for it to burn itself out. I despair of the attitude of too many who are going to keep this thing active, mostly as a result of selfishness and stupidity. The 'its my right to have an overseas holiday' dimwits who think that it will be fine to sit in an airtight metal tube with a hundred strangers, just because they have a piece of paper on their face'...........baffles me. We will be dealing with this virus for months yet
Hey Wayne
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2020 03 09:41

thecaretaker wrote: ↑Fri, 31st Jul 2020, 3:26pm My own feeling is it wouldn't have mattered what government was in power, mistakes would have been made by any of them. Coronavirus was an unknown and it took time to understand how it spread and what its effects were. Yes, in hindsight some decisions might not have been the right ones, but hindsight is always 20/20.

I really hope all parties can work together to support the nation as a whole. This virus is far from over yet and far too early for politicians to start a blame game.
Not really playing the blame game just making sure our government is under no misunderstanding that the people know what it has done and will not tolerate incompetence once the second wave is upon us.

To put this into perspective, I know people and governments make mistakes. just name me ONE thing that the government has got right and its comparison to other major countries?

Sorry for the strong wording but I Know people badly affected by this both physically and mentally and have sisters working in the healthcare sector, so I'm a tad passionate about this.
Stay safe
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2020 03 11:15

One of the biggest blunders at the moment as far as I am concerned is the government expecting people to follow the guidelines and exercise common sense which is absolute madness, especially when many in power have set such a poor example themselves and haven't appeared to take it seriously. I keep hearing stories which beggar belief such as a person dying of covid and then 50+ people turn up at the house on the same day to offer condolences, I know people who were instructed to shield by the NHS and have treated the situation as a massive paid holiday, having regular house parties and going abroad despite being too at risk to go to work. It is hard to defend government decisions and actions throughout but I also think people need to take a lot more personal responsibility for what is going on.
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2020 03 11:56

I find it difficult to defend politicians of any party and I can't imagine whoever was in charge would have got it right. Unless it was me. As soon as this thing was making news I would have stopped travel. No one in and if you went abroad it would be enforced isolation under supervision in a cell when you returned. We had a massive advantage being an island but we allowed people in and out for weeks even when the virus was here. Crazy.
skirbeck
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2020 03 12:02

greenjack wrote: ↑Mon, 3rd Aug 2020, 11:56am I find it difficult to defend politicians of any party and I can't imagine whoever was in charge would have got it right. Unless it was me. As soon as this thing was making news I would have stopped travel. No one in and if you went abroad it would be enforced isolation under supervision in a cell when you returned. We had a massive advantage being an island but we allowed people in and out for weeks even when the virus was here. Crazy.
my thoughts exactly!
if we'd closed our borders the plague would never have got here
http://www.knightsofskirbeck.co.uk Medieval re-enactment, not so much a hobby as a way of life!
I'm so old fashioned, outside work I'm either in the 15th or 19th centuries! (Medieval or steampunk, which is best?)
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2020 03 17:30

I have given up trying to follow what is going on here. Firstly, we are told that it will be safe to open schools. No masks needed in classrooms or corridors. 72 hours later we are told that pubs may have to close in order to offset or trade off the risks of opening schools. Does that make sense to anyone else? Have I misunderstood the message? I have no idea what the strategy is here. I cannot see how closing pubs will help. I can see how encouraging people to avoid public transport, stay away from crowded places & work from home as much as possible will help. But, rally, am I missing something?