Mental Burnout

Use this board to ask questions and discuss about health and fitness to work issues...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Andrew
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 14 15:53

Mental Burnout

Well after having a really bad week I've had to go off work after being diagnosed with "mental burnout" as the pressure of the last few months has finally got to me. I've been put on medication and told to take a time off to recover how ever long that may take. As I'm finding out our mental health needs looking after as much as our physical so please everyone look after yourselves, it's important. As the saying goes "it's alright not to be alright" so take care everyone.
Valar Morghulis
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 14 17:55

Re: Mental Burnout

I am sorry to hear this, but it happens to the best of us, I suffered in the last 6 months of my employment re new management bullying with stress and depression, I had not visited my GP in many a year and he took one look at me and signed me off work straight away for a month at a time, after 3 months I went back for personal reasons, but should not have and to be truthful I should have had another 3 months which would have been ok with my GP, but in the long run I decided to leave as I was not welcome anymore, but a deal was done. One thing I would like to add is the school management were totally out of order in demanding this and that and in the end I refused to correspond with them using my GP and Union, The management came back with stating in my contract I had to allow my medical records to be sent to occupational health and have a medical with them, I refused to release my medical records and going to see the O.H, I stated this bullying does not help and I was again taking it up with the Union, I never heard no more until I thought I was ready to return to work, then I had to have a meeting with the management, they promised me the world, but nothing changed when I did return. So my friend do not be bullied into returning to work, speak openly to your GP and you should be ok, if your in a Union also let them know if your being pestered by the school, Are the tablets you are taking running a course of 6 months as that was the proscribed term my GP said I would have to take them, these did have side affects and made me very agitated and anxious. Good luck my friend and take your time getting better, stay safe and healthy.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 14 18:51

A painful but familiar story unfortunately. It sometimes happens that we do not realise how much stress we are under until it is too late. I wish I could suggest a tip to pick up signs of the crash before it happens. But I cannot. My first indication of something being wrong was being in floods of tears in the staff room & feeling a tightness in the chess that stopped me from breathing properly. I have a vague memory of the paramedics showing up. Did not go to hospital. But I have no idea how I got home. No job should do this to us. But our roles seem to inflict it on us with soul destroying regularity.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 14 19:33

So sorry to hear this Andrew. I had the same thing happen 2 years ago, I was off for 3 months and had counselling via OCC Health as well as a local service called Talking Matters. I had a few problems that caused it all, a restructure where the Site hours were halved and my wage was dropping by £10,000 over 2 years, a good assistant who was also a great mate who left because of it, too much work for the hours, everything being asked for at the last minute and a new BM who I didn't get on with at all. While I was off the BM left after only 3 months so that was good but even after returning it took a long time to get back to some normality.

What I would say is do not go back too early, I think I did and consequently I still get episodes of stress and depression. My employers are sympathetic but there are still 3 things that are the same as they were 2 years ago for me, still not enough hours to do the job properly, still everything last minute meaning you cannot plan anything, and of course my wage is now down by that money, I am on a scale of pay now that I was on 18 years ago. So what I am saying is don't think that they will have your best interests at heart, they will want things the way they want them and they will expect you to just get on with it. This will begin to make you stressed again and it will affect your sleep, your family and basically the whole of your life. Always remember that you are more important than the job, it will still be there even if you are not. Your health is the most important thing and it isn't a thing to be messed with. I still struggle as I say and with that and pain from the Arthritis with which I suffer has put in my mind the thought of early retirement which I may do something about after Christmas as I feel it is time.

Your mental health is very important so make sure that you take ALL of the time that you need, don't do what I did and rush back thinking you are doing some good, you and your family and friends will suffer if you do. I wish you all the very best, look after yourself, you are the most important thing and your mental state is all that matters.
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 14 20:34

I would recommend staying off of this site for a while.
That way you will get a complete break from the job.
So many times over the years I have done that.
So many posts may drag you down.
They may relate to problems that have triggered your own problems.
When you are in the right frame of mind, you will find they won't bother you.
Although when you find that other schools are putting things in place or getting help with no problems.
Where as you maybe having a up hill struggle.

An alternative would to see if there are a couple of members that you could communicate with if you need someone to talk to.
He who can, does; he who cannot, teaches.
George Bernard Shaw
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 14 21:20

I've definately had days where I've felt close to losing it, usually when the HT is telling me one thing and the academy bods are telling me the opposite. Living on site can be stressful too at times, especially if things are bad at home too, ive found that taking 10-15 minutes with a coffee, phone off, lights off, in my boiler room to myself at the end of each shift before going home really helps me re-centre myself and just chill out. Its ok to be selfish and shut the whole world out for a bit, it will still be there when you're ready to return.
Andrew
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 15 10:25

I realised last Tuesday that something wasn't right when I completely lost it with my boss, completely lost the plot and ended up crying. Then Friday couldn't stop crying so contacted my GP who's given me medication and told me to take time off, initially for a week, but it's going to be longer. As I've found out/finding out our mental health is very important and as the saying goes "it's alright to be not alright" Luckily I've got a great wife who's helping me. So please all look after yourselves and try to take action before it gets too bad as in my case.
Valar Morghulis
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 15 13:24

Look after yourself Andrew, a lot of good advice above -Like.png- Take your time and don't rush back before you are ready.
There is light at the end of the tunnel -Success.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 15 13:31

Look after yourself my friend, I am not sure how long you have been employed there, but after 2 years service you are entitled to full pay for the first 6 months of sickness, then the next 6 months half pay, well it used to be, have a look at your contract, if in doubt contact your personnel dept? or Union.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2020 15 16:47

Andrew wrote: Sun, 15th Nov 2020, 10:25am I realised last Tuesday that something wasn't right when I completely lost it with my boss, completely lost the plot and ended up crying. Then Friday couldn't stop crying so contacted my GP who's given me medication and told me to take time off, initially for a week, but it's going to be longer. As I've found out/finding out our mental health is very important and as the saying goes "it's alright to be not alright" Luckily I've got a great wife who's helping me. So please all look after yourselves and try to take action before it gets too bad as in my case.
Same happened to me m8. Long story, but I won't bore you. I eventually found another career and was very happy. But I still wake in the night having nightmares about my time at the school. I was treated appallingly and know what you are going through. The problem is, it causes permanent damage and although you learn to live with it and move on, there will always be moments that bring those bad memories back.

At the end of the day, it's not your fault. It just shows how poor the management were. Schools are the worst. Management have never lived in the real world and have no idea of the trail of carnage their actions and decisions leave behind.

Just keep saying to yourself, it is not your fault. Because it isn't your fault. Don't blame yourself. It goes to show what a caring and understanding person you are. Look after yourself and keep talking to others about your situation. It's when folk stop talking and bottle it up when you start thinking silly ways of trying to get out of your situation. You know what I mean.

Thinking of you m8. Hope things get sort out soon.

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)
Andrew
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 15 18:37

Skoolkeeper wrote: Sun, 15th Nov 2020, 1:31pm Look after yourself my friend, I am not sure how long you have been employed there, but after 2 years service you are entitled to full pay for the first 6 months of sickness, then the next 6 months half pay, well it used to be, have a look at your contract, if in doubt contact your personnel dept? or Union.
I've been here 39 years !!!!! Wish they'd find the release form.
Valar Morghulis
JonOfham
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 15 20:29

Andrew wrote: Sun, 15th Nov 2020, 6:37pm
I've been here 39 years !!!!! Wish they'd find the release form.
Get less for murder....
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 15 21:08

Andrew wrote: Sun, 15th Nov 2020, 6:37pm I've been here 39 years !!!!! Wish they'd find the release form.
Respect my friend, shame your boss didn't show some.
steve a
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 16 08:00

Times are very hard and strange at the moment, I do have a good set of staff around me so that does help. but there logic doesnt! I have always said to them it wont affect you until it affects you no matter what the problem is. Mental health is as important as anything else at the moment so take care.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 16 09:47

I'm sorry to hear that. I went through something similar a few years ago at my last job, I was on the verge of complete breakdown and I don't know what state I would be in now if I hadn't managed to do the interview of my life and got the hell out of there. Even then getting better didn't happen overnight and for months afterwards I used to wake up in a state until I remembered that I wasn't working there anymore.

Take care and get what support you can, I know I got very little at the time, management couldn't seem to understand anyone having difficulties under their 'amazing' leadership.