Early medical retirement.

Use this board to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

estd
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 01 08:04

Early medical retirement.

Good morning - any one experience of being interviewed by HR following requesting early retirement on medical grounds ?

After 27 years service am i wrong to expect a fight ?

Thanks for any insights !
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 01 09:21

Re: Early medical retirement.

I know it should be given on merit but I think that the goalposts have shifted because of the state of LA finances and the advent of academies.

This is based on a couple of conversations a few years ago and I would think that your union will be able to give you a clearer, current picture. If someone is given early access to their pension I think that the employer is expected to pick up the additional cost and compensate the pension provider. Given the state of finances in LAs where they have used past reserves to shore up budgets, I don't think they will consent to give early retirement on health grounds easily. They may even employ delaying tactics. WIth academies the situation may become even more acute as cost to an academy of an early retirement would be a massive hit to their budget (This sort of thing was not flagged up to schools when short term financial carrots were offered to encourage schools to convert to academies)

I will sound cynical but I believe that your 27 years of service will simply mean a greater cost to them rather than something that should be rewarded. I hope that your union does its absolute best for you and gives you good advice and support.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 01 09:36

A former DH went through this and it took a lot of time (well over a year I think) and jumping through hoops with paperwork etc. despite the fact that she was so ill with (terminal) cancer that she probably only worked a couple of weeks in total over that time period and the LA were arguing whether it was serious enough for early retirement. It might depend on the LA.
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Mar 2021 01 09:46

As for your figures, you may then find they will have you out of the door without your feet touching the ground, but don`t show them your TOO eager.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 01 09:50

A good friend of mine,employed by an Academy Trust, died from cancer before her ill health retirement was agreed. Again, it sounds awful but, the cost of in service death is met by the LGPS (or the TPS for teachers) but the additional cost of the early retirement is met by the employer. In such cases there is a financial incentive for the employer to delay as much as they can. Unfortunately, financial considerations seem to override the human costs.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 01 11:30

More likely to try and dismiss you as you are not fit enough to do the job, there problem ended yours just beginning. -Mad.png-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 01 12:13

Essentially they (you) have to prove that there is no chance of you ever being well enough to work again. This is what often takes a while. If there is a chance in 5 years you would be ok to work again then they wouldn't authorise it.
estd
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 02 08:08

Appreciate all the input.

Looks like it's going to end in a legal fight.
seanallen
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 03 16:54

I've just been "retired" I'd had a lot of time off sick due to balance and tinnitus problems, I'm deaf so it's all part of the condition. The odd thing is I had the HR / school long term sick meeting, got sacked and only then was my name put forward for ill health retirement. I did qualify but it seams a little unfair that at the time of being dismissed you have no idea what will happen next. Surly it would be kinder to staff that are coming the the end of their working life to have a clear and clear progression into retirement, I understand the pandemic has had an impact but a zoom meeting is a bit brutal.
Due to the present financial situation, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily switched off.