Bleach tablets and red eye.

From tummy bugs to pandemics, general health issues...

Moderators: thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider, jay

Jubbs
Forum Member & Subscriber

Bleach tablets and red eye.

Feb 2018 01 17:42

Post by Jubbs » Thu, 1st Feb 2018, 5:42pm

Post by Jubbs by Jubbs Feb 2018 01 17:42

One of my cleaners before Exmas came in with an eye inflamed and red, went on for a few days and visited doctor, was prescribed steroid drops which helped but didnt get rid of it. Went home for Exmas and it cleared up, and thought the drops had stopped it.

Came back to work, 1st day eye flared up again and went back to drops. But..... chatting with her colleague (they work together to do their areas) they discussed why the smell from the mop bucket was so strong, she asked how many tablets the other was using, it was only two which was under the prescribed limit for a large bucket, but that they had started using a different make of tablets which I had supplied them with.

Today she told me that since they decided not to use them, her eyes have cleared up and have been clear for two weeks.

We went from the GLS's own Classmate tablets (mag picture is of classmate, but thats not what turned up) to another make, COVCHLOR chlorine tablets (200 of) by Coventry Chemicals.

They are both effervescent tabs but the fact that they could smell the difference is a little alarming when using the same dosage.

Now, googling these types of tablets seems to bring up a lot of pool side uses, are these designed specifically for this purpose or can they be used in a bucket for general cleaning ? no-one else seems to exhibit the same symptoms but maybe someone on here has had a similar problem/affect ?

DAE avatar
cusodave
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Bleach tablets and red eye.

Feb 2018 01 17:55

Post by cusodave » Thu, 1st Feb 2018, 5:55pm

Post by cusodave by cusodave Feb 2018 01 17:55

The safety data sheet makes interesting reading on this, hardly surprising they are having eye issues, it gives off chlorine gas and has exposure limits.
http://www.express-cleaning-supplies.co ... s/1209.pdf

Jubbs

Feb 2018 01 18:05

Post by Jubbs » Thu, 1st Feb 2018, 6:05pm

Post by Jubbs by Jubbs Feb 2018 01 18:05

Yeah, quite right it can be nasty stuff, although most of the really harmful effects are with direct contact or splashback when diluted.

The NHS swears by them apparently and go with the same dilution rates as we have been practicing, so I think it may be a singular reaction our cleaner has had. I have told them to make sure they always wear gloves and be careful when using it to avoid splashing and to never mix with any other chemicals as that can be really bad.

just noticed on the SDS that they're Russian made, now I'm not saying........but....... :0

thecaretaker
Forum Admin & Subscriber
Forum Admin & Subscriber

Feb 2018 01 19:19

Post by thecaretaker » Thu, 1st Feb 2018, 7:19pm

Post by thecaretaker by thecaretaker Feb 2018 01 19:19

You really need to read that coshh sheet m8

Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area
Are you using it indoors?

Wear eye protection
Have you issued PPE? Have you issued goggles and have you checked the cleaners are wearing them?

Causes serious eye irritation
Says it in a nutshell

I hope the cleaner doesn't go to a no win no fee solicitor. They would have a field day Jubbs. Best thing would be to find an alternative bacterial agent.

EBJ

Feb 2018 01 20:39

Post by EBJ » Thu, 1st Feb 2018, 8:39pm

Post by EBJ by EBJ Feb 2018 01 20:39

I had chlorine tablets for both pool use and mop bucket soak use, the pool one's were about 3 1/2" in diameter and about a 1/2" thick and very strong in their smell, the bucket use one's were the size of a ten pence piece only and had a slight chlorine smell.

None of the cleaners had access to the bucket chlorine tablets as i only used them on a Friday night and come Monday morning both bucket and mop head were given a good rinse out and once the floor cleaner GL Lemon was used the lemon smell would hide any lingering chlorine smell if i had not rinsed them correctly.

So different chlorine tablets for different jobs and different strengths. [Wink.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Jubbs

Feb 2018 02 07:49

Post by Jubbs » Fri, 2nd Feb 2018, 7:49am

Post by Jubbs by Jubbs Feb 2018 02 07:49

thecaretaker wrote:
Thu, 1st Feb 2018, 7:19pm
You really need to read that coshh sheet m8

Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area
Are you using it indoors?

Wear eye protection
Have you issued PPE? Have you issued goggles and have you checked the cleaners are wearing them?

Causes serious eye irritation
Says it in a nutshell

I hope the cleaner doesn't go to a no win no fee solicitor. They would have a field day Jubbs. Best thing would be to find an alternative bacterial agent.
I have got the SDS for these tabs, and we use them in well ventilated areas. They have goggles but dont feel the need to use them as the dilution rate is the same or below the thresholds of normal use, I've discussed this with them in the past when we used the Classmate tabs and I've advised them to wear gloves too but even then they are reluctant sometimes. The tabs are only used in mop buckets and even liquid bleach is banned from cloth buckets including Milton. I have a suspicion that they were mixing it with Duck or Pine Disinfectant so I'm going to check up on them again.

All anti bacterial products I've used are either for use in sprays or to dilute in water and all state that goggles and gloves should be used but in practice most cleaners dont use them even though I scold them for not doing so, but they are provided and advised in their use so any lawsuit is going to be difficult to pursue.

Does raise the question about workplace practices and PPE's and I'll be bringing this up with the BM and getting her view on this.

Jubbs

Feb 2018 02 08:01

Post by Jubbs » Fri, 2nd Feb 2018, 8:01am

Post by Jubbs by Jubbs Feb 2018 02 08:01

EBJ wrote:
Thu, 1st Feb 2018, 8:39pm
I had chlorine tablets for both pool use and mop bucket soak use, the pool one's were about 3 1/2" in diameter and about a 1/2" thick and very strong in their smell, the bucket use one's were the size of a ten pence piece only and had a slight chlorine smell.

None of the cleaners had access to the bucket chlorine tablets as i only used them on a Friday night and come Monday morning both bucket and mop head were given a good rinse out and once the floor cleaner GL Lemon was used the lemon smell would hide any lingering chlorine smell if i had not rinsed them correctly.

So different chlorine tablets for different jobs and different strengths. [Wink.png]
These tablets are 20mm dia and 5mm thick, quite small and effervescent. instructions state lowest dilution is 1 tab per 1/2 litre up to 1 tab per 5 litres (different ppm' concentration whatever that is) and we use 2 tabs in our 31 litre mop buckets, so we are well below normal usage. But if they are mixing them with other chems then I'm going to have to give them another lecture and a warning as in the past they have mixed so the smell that lingers is more pleasant (shakeshead).

Nail
Forum Member
Forum Member

Feb 2018 02 09:10

Post by Nail » Fri, 2nd Feb 2018, 9:10am

Post by Nail by Nail Feb 2018 02 09:10

Drop a note to the manufacturer / supplier and ask advice?

Sharky
Forum Member
Forum Member

Feb 2018 13 07:29

Post by Sharky » Tue, 13th Feb 2018, 7:29am

Post by Sharky by Sharky Feb 2018 13 07:29

I worked for the NHS in logistics before coming here, and yes chlorine tabs are their best friends.BUT do not use them in warm or hot water. they will give off chlorine gas and if mixed are really nasty. this sounds like a problem i have seen before and more likely than not they are using warm to hot water and maybe even mixing. the tablets should only be used in cold water. They can nasty things.personally i would steer clear of them for school use.
"Can you just?....."

inspector
Forum Moderator & Subscriber
Forum Moderator & Subscriber

Feb 2018 13 12:27

Post by inspector » Tue, 13th Feb 2018, 12:27pm

Post by inspector by inspector Feb 2018 13 12:27

Jubbs wrote:
Fri, 2nd Feb 2018, 8:01am

(different ppm' concentration whatever that is)
PPM = Parts Per Million