Death warmed up

From tummy bugs to pandemics, general health issues...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Admin & Subscriber
Forum Admin & Subscriber

Death warmed up

Mar 2018 12 22:35

Post by thecaretaker » Mon, 12th Mar 2018, 10:35pm

Post by thecaretaker by thecaretaker Mar 2018 12 22:35

I've been suffering what I assumed was a cold since last Thursday. I'm beginning to wonder now if it is flu. Feeling aching and a temperature I really feel like death warmed up. Yet I had a flu jab a month ago.

Apparently, it is doing the rounds. When I had the flu jab, I asked if it was worth having, the nurse at the doctors said flu is up 7 times the rate it was than the previous year, so would be definitely worth it.

Fact lot of good its done me.

I've got to be up and about tomorrow, my car is in for a service.

Anyone had this.... thing?
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

Drone
Forum Member & Subscriber

Re: Death warmed up

Mar 2018 12 22:54

Post by Drone » Mon, 12th Mar 2018, 10:54pm

Post by Drone by Drone Mar 2018 12 22:54

My neighbour had the flu jab a few years ago. She very soon after displayed all the classic flu symptoms. Whether this was because there was a different type of flu doing the rounds, or whether it was related to the serum administered, is impossible to determine. But I hope that you will be feeling better very soon CT. Stay warm & rest. Best wishes to you.

Teabee

Mar 2018 13 06:58

Post by Teabee » Tue, 13th Mar 2018, 6:58am

Post by Teabee by Teabee Mar 2018 13 06:58

Evil 'innit. Me and mine had the jab as well but the bug seems to have thought it was gravy! [Mad.png]
Makes you weak as a kitten for a couple of days but after that there's a slow recovery but if it gets on your chest the cough can hang around for a month or more. Hit it hard with decongestants is my advice, don't let it get a grip. Loss of sleep is the worst thing. Fresh air helped as well, always felt a bit better out with the dogs.
My Rum consumption went up as well, that must have been a symptom must'nt it?.......... [Blush.png]
In the beginning, God created man, but seeing him so feeble, He gave him the dog.

Alphonse Toussenel (1803-1885)

Dragonrider
Forum Admin & Subscriber
Forum Admin & Subscriber

Mar 2018 13 08:12

Post by Dragonrider » Tue, 13th Mar 2018, 8:12am

Post by Dragonrider by Dragonrider Mar 2018 13 08:12

I've had the flu jab for the last three years now, not old enough to qualify, but ill enough to do so!

I've been lucky, no after effects, but this year was in the office with two other volunteers both full of cold, and I got such a dose, I was stuck at home for a week, unable, or at least, unwilling to even go out of the house, preferring to stay in bed much of the time. Reduced Immune System.

I did get the flu jab this winter via my local Lloyds Pharamcy very early which may have helped, a full month before the doctor's surgery offered me it. However, I've heard (rumour mill) that this was for three trains of flu, and apprently there are four strains going the rounds, so if you get the fourth strain, you've no protection unless you got the four strain version later in the winter.

Best of luck with a speedy recovery CT!
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.

thecaretaker
Forum Admin & Subscriber
Forum Admin & Subscriber

Mar 2018 13 08:37

Post by thecaretaker » Tue, 13th Mar 2018, 8:37am

Post by thecaretaker by thecaretaker Mar 2018 13 08:37

Aussie flu seems to have hit the uk according to all the papers. H3N2 strain apparently. It has killed 170 Australians.
Take your pick.... https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=noyn ... lJtXPV1PM0

At least they are on our side. Thank god it's not North Korean or Russian flu [Big grin.png]
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

HappyLad

Mar 2018 13 09:57

Post by HappyLad » Tue, 13th Mar 2018, 9:57am

Post by HappyLad by HappyLad Mar 2018 13 09:57

Drone wrote:
Mon, 12th Mar 2018, 10:54pm
My neighbour had the flu jab a few years ago. She very soon after displayed all the classic flu symptoms. Whether this was because there was a different type of flu doing the rounds, or whether it was related to the serum administered, is impossible to determine. But I hope that you will be feeling better very soon CT. Stay warm & rest. Best wishes to you.
In my first school (5 years ago) they offered all the staff a flu jab so i took it, and the same thing happened to me very shortly afterwards. I wouldn't bother again, at least not while i'm young enough and strong enough to cope.
My wife asked me to pick up a loaf of bread and, if they had eggs, to get a dozen. I came home with a dozen loaves of bread.

If brains were dynamite, some people would not have enough to blow their nose.

Lucastone1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mar 2018 13 11:28

Post by Lucastone1 » Tue, 13th Mar 2018, 11:28am

Post by Lucastone1 by Lucastone1 Mar 2018 13 11:28

There are SO many variations on this flu business it will be difficult to know if the jab has been worth it or not. The truth is that the medical know alls just throw out if you don't get jabbed you will die. Last year was the worse guess work on the strains to provide a resistance ever. On some generations it provided some cover, on others little or nothing. Me and my Wife were jabbed last year and the year before. Both times we were ill. Now, were we ill 'cos we caught flu and the jab helped us fight it or did we get one of the lesser strains that the jab does rock all for? You will never know and that's the point the medical profession don't either. One size doesn't fit all. That's the last year we have the jab.
[Mad.png]

Keyolder

Mar 2018 13 12:24

Post by Keyolder » Tue, 13th Mar 2018, 12:24pm

Post by Keyolder by Keyolder Mar 2018 13 12:24

I've had the flu jab a couple of times as I'm old enough. First time my arm really ached and I felt a bit rough for a few days, second one I shouldn't have had really as I didn't feel very well at the time.
Boy did it knock me for six for about a week afterwards, I've now missed 2 years of flu jabs and believe your own immune system should build up a natural resistance to the lurgy like it was designed to do many thousands of years ago....
[Sir.png]
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think you’re a looney [Crazy.png]