Official NHS Track and Trace App

Use this board to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Sep 2020 25 12:27

Re: Official NHS Track and Trace App

thecaretaker wrote: Fri, 25th Sep 2020, 11:12am Apparently, it is either showing medium or high for everyone. It would be interesting to see what it says on Buffer's phone.

Quite a hotspot here CT, quit a few Local authorities around here are in local lockdowns (Restrictions), my one included, and Cardiff looks to be next.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 26 17:46

Mine downloaded on Thursday with no trouble and seems to be working ok. High risk area here but so far only 1 member of staff has tested positive
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Buffer
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 26 19:46

thecaretaker wrote: Fri, 25th Sep 2020, 11:12am Apparently, it is either showing medium or high for everyone. It would be interesting to see what it says on Buffer's phone.
Alas no smartphone -Disappointment.png- but no new cases on Lewis for months now but their is a lot of tourists here at the moment so time will tell.
motorr
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 27 12:24

I downloaded it the other day. I was understanding that all retailers and leisure places would have a Q code to scan. What to town and other retail outlets and not seen one code.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 27 13:02

I’ve spoken to family and some friends and they are mostly saying they wouldn’t install it on principal. It allows the government to spy on your location at any time day or night, plus it uses battery and it’s been proved it doesn’t even work!!
-Neutral.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
jholden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 28 07:39

I downloaded it Friday night with no issues, it took about 5 seconds. Yesterday we went to our local Intu shopping centre, and pretty much every shop and food outlet had the NHS QR code for the app on display, some shops were actually asking you to scan it if you had the app installed.
Swatch
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 28 09:26

Keyolder wrote: Sun, 27th Sep 2020, 1:02pm I’ve spoken to family and some friends and they are mostly saying they wouldn’t install it on principal. It allows the government to spy on your location at any time day or night, plus it uses battery and it’s been proved it doesn’t even work!!
-Neutral.png-
-Gobsmacked.png- Where to begin? Well you could try something like this https://www.wired.co.uk/article/nhs-cov ... ct-tracing explaining how the app works, has minimal impact on battery, provides no personal information to govt., cannot track your location etc. etc. That site even provides links to things like the actual source data for the app so you can scour it yourself. All the info is out there explaining every aspect of the app (which undoubtedly still has issues with functionality) but none of the things you said are correct.

Or you could just ask your mate what he thinks -Big grin.png-
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 28 10:40

Swatch wrote: Mon, 28th Sep 2020, 9:26am -Gobsmacked.png- Where to begin?
Yes I did for some gently try to explain that if you have a smartphone with location turned on then any government official or police if required can get access to your location from your service provider. Plus, even if you have a dumb mobile phone they can still find out where you were by the repeater locations.
As for it not working properly, everything has teething issues at first -Neutral.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2020 28 11:56

I just realised that I am probably not using my phone correctly for the app to work. I'm not like some of the youngsters who can't put it down for fear of getting withdrawal symptoms.

I visited my local Maidenhead Aquatics shop for some advice this morning. I did as I always do, when I parked the car I take the phone out of the QI wireless charger and hide it in the car out of view from any opportunist thugs. I never carry it with me when I go to a shop. I have enough to carry usually and often in large stores like Tesco, it doesn't work inside their metal clad buildings anyway.

I'm thinking of uninstalling it. I read the part that says that Bluetooth might not take into consideration that you and a person who tested positive might be either side a thick brick wall. I've also noticed my battery is dropping faster as I don't normally have Bluetooth turned on unless I have connected it to the car.

I feel I should be doing the right thing, but as I am not Mr Ordinary and don't live on my phone, I'm wondering if there is any point in using it. Any comments/advice appreciated. -Confused.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 28 12:18

thecaretaker wrote: Mon, 28th Sep 2020, 11:56am I just realised that I am probably not using my phone correctly for the app to work. I'm not like some of the youngsters who can't put it down for fear of getting withdrawal symptoms.

I visited my local Maidenhead Aquatics shop for some advice this morning. I did as I always do, when I parked the car I take the phone out of the QI wireless charger and hide it in the car out of view from any opportunist thugs. I never carry it with me when I go to a shop. I have enough to carry usually and often in large stores like Tesco, it doesn't work inside their metal clad buildings anyway.

I'm thinking of uninstalling it. I read the part that says that Bluetooth might not take into consideration that you and a person who tested positive might be either side a thick brick wall. I've also noticed my battery is dropping faster as I don't normally have Bluetooth turned on unless I have connected it to the car.

I feel I should be doing the right thing, but as I am not Mr Ordinary and don't live on my phone, I'm wondering if there is any point in using it. Any comments/advice appreciated. -Confused.png-
What model phone do you have?
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2020 28 14:51

Nail wrote: Mon, 28th Sep 2020, 12:18pm What model phone do you have?
erm, an expensive one. OK, an S10+. I never do anything by 'alves

Have you ever watched the Fawlty Towers episode with Mrs Richards? I treat my phone a bit like her hearing aid. I don't have it on because it wears the battery out lol -Big grin.png- -Big grin.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2020 28 14:57

Just had an email from the NHS...
nhs.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 28 15:28

Dragonrider wrote: Mon, 28th Sep 2020, 2:57pm Just had an email from the NHS...

nhs.png
I also got that email earlier this morning.
btrousers
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 29 08:54

Mrs Richards, classic.

Hanging Gardens of Babylon....
jholden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 29 11:01

Swatch wrote: Mon, 28th Sep 2020, 9:26am - has minimal impact on battery,
Only noticed today my battery is been drained more than usual (I have an iPhone 7 still with 95% battery capacity). Went on to the battery settings and discovered the Exposure Notifications within the app are running at 56% battery usage! By comparison the next highest app for battery usage I have running is Facebook (which I'm always logged in to and getting notifications from) which is only using 7%, and Instagram which is only 6%!!

I phoned my wife to ask her to check her phone and she found the same, so I'm afraid to say yes this app WILL kill your battery if you leave the contract tracing on all the time.