Face shields

Use this board to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

prep_room_boy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 26 13:32

Face shields

Just been asked to source the top notch face shields for our TAs to wear. (the rest of us can go and survive on our own)

Must meet the latest EN/BS specs. Every website claims that theirs are the bees-knees. The CO in charge wants the sort that are like a pair of glasses with a shield built in.

Anybody got an EN code that will satisfy them??

Thanks in advance, and hope that Uncle Boris doesn't change his mind again.
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2020 26 14:01

Re: Face shields

prep_room_boy wrote: Thu, 26th Nov 2020, 1:32pm Just been asked to source the top notch face shields for our TAs to wear. (the rest of us can go and survive on our own)

Must meet the latest EN/BS specs. Every website claims that theirs are the bees-knees. The CO in charge wants the sort that are like a pair of glasses with a shield built in.

Can't vouch for an EN number, but I got one of these off eBay the other week, about £4 so probably not good enough for your COIC, but it is good enough for my local Health Centre when I went for my (long-delayed) flu jab. Still a little difficult to breathe clearly in, but nothing like as restricted as most cloth face masks, which I really struggle to breathe with.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 26 14:56

I have seen the Morrison's staff wearing that type of mask. -Like.png-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
JonOfham
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 26 15:00

It does make me chuckle seeing everyday people wearing full face shields.
We had a salesman come to the door a while back. As soon as I saw he was wearing one, "No thank you, we don't need any welding work done!" ... chortle, I did.
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 26 17:07

Are there approved ones then? If so, then it should be rolled out to all schools and all staff. Added to this, is it issued as PPE? are they compulsory? who cleans them? how do you store them? What about cost of replacements if they get damaged? So many questions.
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 26 19:41

prep_room_boy wrote: Thu, 26th Nov 2020, 1:32pm Just been asked to source the top notch face shields for our TAs to wear. (the rest of us can go and survive on our own)

🤣🤣 Sorry but this did make me chuckle.... What the actual f.....??

What are these COs on. I was asked a similar question and just ordered a job lot from Amazon (glasses style)
Your question need to be Why? Why do they need BS EN number ?? What difference do they actually think this will make ?? Ok, so it proves it meets British standards during manufacturing and thus fit for use and sale.
They offer ZERO Protection to either yourself or others. Fine, if some one sneezes straight in your face you won’t get a direct face full but will not protect you from a virus which is air born in droplets.
They are meant to be used in conjunction WITH a face mask as a gard from liquid spray in your eyes.
I understand COs need their face to be seen when teaching but really, what the point.. -Scared.png-
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 27 08:23

I must agree with you Sparky. They are pretty useless unless worn with a nose and mouth covering. I think they are thinking " As long as we look like we are doing something, it will be alright" -Shock.png-
You see, Rock and Roll isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force. It's something very essential. - The Edge.
Swatch
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 27 11:21

I'd usually say something is better than nothing but I despair when our lunchtime team wear these with no mouth covering. they just direct the airflow straight down onto the food and the children. might as well put a straw in your mouth and blow directly onto everything -Scared.png-