London and Southeast now in Tier 4

Use this board to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2020 19 17:55

London and Southeast now in Tier 4

Well, basically, Tier 4 is full lockdown (apart from churches which are still allowed to open).

At least with a full Lockdown, you had a start and a finish date.

Who knows when we will ever come out of a Tier 4 lockdown, it looks indefinite. Could be months away.... ---- (The word only permitted in December) ---_snowbal-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dec 2020 19 18:47

Re: London and Southeast now in Tier 4

Wales is to enter a 'Full Lockdown' at 00:01 tonight :🙄
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 19 20:16

Find it hard to believe that the whole of England will not be locked down early in the new year. I fear there will be a massive spike in infections of the old & new versions after --- (The word only permitted in December) ---.
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2020 19 20:54

Drone wrote: Sat, 19th Dec 2020, 8:16pm Find it hard to believe that the whole of England will not be locked down early in the new year. I fear there will be a massive spike in infections of the old & new versions after --- (The word only permitted in December) ---.
Agreed, stupid is as stupid does. Or put another way, Stupid is as people do!
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 19 22:44

I get that something needs to be done, but this year can go to hell.

My wife falls pregnant through IVF, so straight away it's not been an easy road. I was not allowed into any scans, or appointments, and the only reason I did see a scan is because we booked one privately!! Roll on 9 months, he's born, and --- (The word only permitted in December) --- approaches (he's 3 weeks old this coming Wednesday). My parents live in Bristol, and have been isolating deliberately so they can come up for --- (The word only permitted in December) --- and see their first grandchild, as have we. Now they can't even do that.

I won't say anything more because I'll end up with a ban on here, but people are just going to do what they were going to do anyway because they've had enough.

I'm fuming. Like I said, get that something needs to be done but they've been dangling this Carrott for months now trying to get people to play ball, now they toss it to the side.
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 20 08:14

Let's face it. The mindset this government has is not exactly set! Even if the idea of lockdown has any scientific basis (which is dubious) it is only a pause in the inevitable. The proposal that everyone could ease off mixing for 5 days over --- (The word only permitted in December) --- was widely considered risky so Boris was struggling to find a way of cancelling plan C5 without looking stupid (again?). Luckily a new strain of the virus has just popped up and ta dah... Lockdown. Again. Now I feel for anyone affected by this, no one wants to get sick, but it's a fact of life and in this case I think we should put resources into protecting the most vulnerable and the wider public should carefully soldier on until the vaccines take effect.
JonOfham
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 20 10:02

Let's face it... whoever was in power couldn't have won either way.
It's starting to really bug me all the people saying how badly everything has been managed. I'm sure there is a bit of corruption and conflict of interests mixed in, but there would be with any government.
Let's not forget that this generation has never experienced what we're going through and the situation is changing all the time. Any decisions would have (and have) faced criticism at the time: if they had locked us down for --- (The word only permitted in December) --- 1, 2, 3 or even 4 weeks ago, the reaction would have been the same... I read somewhere that cancelling --- (The word only permitted in December) --- was "inhumane".... really?? It's just a day same as any day, you can visit loved ones any day and if you need an excuse like --- (The word only permitted in December) --- then I feel sorry for you. I'd much rather visit loved ones knowing it's safe to do so, rather than run the risk of making them ill.

My wife contracted coronavirus 2 weeks ago....was absolutely fine the first week, indeed even said "if this is it, I don't see what all the fuss is about!" then on Monday went downhill and was really struggling to breathe. She got sent to A&E and was made to wait 9 hours....9 hours sitting in a waiting room struggling to breathe. When she did get seen and given an MRI they thought she had blood clots on her lungs, gave her blood thinners but guess what, there's no beds so come back in 36 hours to see if you're any better. 36 hours later she's even worse so has to go in again. Wait another 5 hours to be told she has pneumonia. Still no beds, so she's been sent home again on antibiotics.

It's winter and there are no beds. Just think about it. It's hard to do when it hasn't affected you, but it's real.

I couldn't go in with her for obvious reasons, and having lost my mum to PE, seeing my wife walk into A&E and thinking that was possibly the last time I'd see her was scarey as hell.

To say lockdowns don't work is just ludicrous...cases went down in the summer and cases went down in November. And of course it's delaying the inevitable....so what's the alternative? Just let it spread like wildfire and rely on herd immunity and survival of the fittest? Or lockdown continuously until the vaccine is rolled out? Obliterate the economy?

I just don't get it....what's wrong with people.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2020 20 12:22

One possible good bit of news was something they commented on in the middle of the night on the BBC News channel.

It was to do with Porton Down and what they are doing.

Often, viruses mutate and this virus is no different. But, usually, when a virus does mutate and becomes more infectious, it looses its potential to harm. So yes, it is easier to catch, but when you do catch it, it doesn't have such severe effects.

It is possible that current tests show that many more people have Coronavirus and equally, hospitals are filled with more people. But it may be that many of those people are in hospital as a precaution (in some areas at least). Eventually, when they realise those with this newer strain of the virus aren't in such danger of death, hospital admissions might go down.

Apparently, this is one of the things Porton Down are investigating and should have the results in the next few days to confirm this.

The other test is to check the new strain of the virus against the current vaccine.

The other real world test will be from those who have been vaccinated. If those who have been vaccinated start to catch the newer virus, we will know that the current vaccine doesn't work with the new strain. But hopefully we will know from the Porton Down tests first.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 20 14:31

'whats wrong with people'? Probably just a difference of opinion!
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2020 20 17:42

You can now buy...

7614217-Lockdown---- (The word only permitted in December) ----card-Happy-New-Tier-0.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 22 10:12

I found out yesterday that a cousin of mine has been in hospital for the last two weeks on oxygen with C19. According to his daughter it went very quickly from I don’t feel very well to I cannot breathe…

This is very real for people in their twilight years, take care and stay safe ---- (The word only permitted in December) ---_sad-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2020 22 12:01

It's obvious the Tier system isn't working. The hands, face, space which was devised for the initial strain of the virus isn't working. It is now out of control.

The only thing that is going to fix this is a complete and very strict 14 day lockdown. No shops open, no transport and make it illegal to put a foot outside the front door unless you are hospital/care staff. My GP seems to have completely closed down anyway. It says to dial 111 on their website if you need anything. I think my ol' mum was right all along.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Obelix27
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2020 23 10:33

thecaretaker wrote: Sun, 20th Dec 2020, 12:22pm One possible good bit of news was something they commented on in the middle of the night on the BBC News channel.

It was to do with Porton Down and what they are doing.

Often, viruses mutate and this virus is no different. But, usually, when a virus does mutate and becomes more infectious, it looses its potential to harm. So yes, it is easier to catch, but when you do catch it, it doesn't have such severe effects.

It is possible that current tests show that many more people have Coronavirus and equally, hospitals are filled with more people. But it may be that many of those people are in hospital as a precaution (in some areas at least). Eventually, when they realise those with this newer strain of the virus aren't in such danger of death, hospital admissions might go down.

Apparently, this is one of the things Porton Down are investigating and should have the results in the next few days to confirm this.

The other test is to check the new strain of the virus against the current vaccine.

The other real world test will be from those who have been vaccinated. If those who have been vaccinated start to catch the newer virus, we will know that the current vaccine doesn't work with the new strain. But hopefully we will know from the Porton Down tests first.
One bit of good news in all the gloom. I hope it is confirmed to be correct.