A short message about the virus

Use this board to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jan 2021 01 23:31

A short message about the virus

I'm not very good at putting this into words, but I'll give it my best shot. I have been asked to share a few comments with you after a number of members have been in contact with me via PM.

We all put on a brave face, but some members have lost family & loved ones to this virus and some have been in hospital fighting their own battle against this killer.

Having seen loved ones die and other victims in hospital beds pass away; it has left some with mental scars that will take a very long time to heal.

I have been told how one member lay in his hospital beds barely clutching on to life himself, while he watched the occupants in the beds besides him lose the fight. It must be a harrowing experience to witness this.

Even those who have not had the virus but have remained at home trying to keep safe, it has left many people feeling depressed and it could be some time before the healing process puts them on the mend.

This virus doesn’t just take it out of you physically but it also takes it out of you mentally. If you win the physical fight, you are left with a mental struggle which could last for many months (if not years).

The plea from members who have contacted me is to beg you to follow the rules.

I’m sure you will join me in wishing them a speedy recovery and remember them in your thoughts and prayers.

For reasons of privacy, I'll not give their names. But hopefully, when they do make a full recovery, they will describe for themselves what they have been through.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 02 08:21

Re: A short message about the virus

Great message boss, thoughts with everyone effected by this horrible virus.

It's easy to dismiss and think "I'll be alright", but if you do end up getting this, you might not be alright.

It's oh so easy in our line of work to just think, "we'll get on with it and deal with whatever hand is dealt". We really do need to take extra care, especially now with this mutation in it that makes it so much easier to catch supposedly.

I have a 1 month old (today actually) son, and it's definitely changed my mindset. By that I don't mean I wasn't careful before, but it's just made me that much extra careful. I said to my wife when we were put into tier 4 overnight before --- (The word only permitted in December) ---, if it wasn't for him, we'd have been packing the car up and travelling to one of our parents (Bristol and Colchester) to spend time with them over --- (The word only permitted in December) ---.

Take care everyone. We will get through this but it won't be easy.
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jan 2021 02 10:05

Well said CT and thoughts are with any and all people affected by this dreadful killer disease.

I have been self-isolating since March last year as I have underlying health issues and basically have no resistance to catching it if I come into contact with anyone who has it, regardless of if they know they are infected or not.

I volunteered in an office open to the public and my boss was involved with setting up the town's Coronavirus Response Group in the beginning and still is. She was told, at the very first meeting to set it up, that if anyone received the flu jab, they need immediately to isolate and stay away from others. This was info given to her by a doctor at the official start of things. I have seen friends die from this, through calls with their families, so I know it is a killer. Yet the youngsters seem to think it is okay to mingle, maskless, and in large groups. Makes me so mad! -Angry.png-
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 02 12:50

Indeed we should all proceed with sensitivity. I cannot begin to imagine how upsetting some of these anti-vaxxer posts on social media must be for people who have lost loved ones to this dreadful disease.
timmydog
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 03 15:31

you have said these words very well caretaker hope we all see the other side
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 04 11:13

That was in my opinion CT well thought out and well written and all of our thoughts are with our members and families who have been affected by this dreadful virus.

Unfortunately there are still COVIDIOTS out there who for what ever reason do not accept responsibility for their actions, they may as well walk around with a loaded gun and shoot people because that is what they are doing condemning innocent people to death.

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jan 2021 05 08:30

At least we are all on a level playing field now. No more Tier groups, we are all in Lockdown 3. It is what was needed. I was encouraged to hear that the 'stay at home' message is legally enforceable. However, there are still loads of residents around me driving off this morning. They can't all be essential workers.

Thanks for all your kind comments in wishing our members who have struggled all the best. I'm sure there are many we haven't heard from. -Disappointment.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Buffer
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 05 11:37

thecaretaker wrote: Tue, 5th Jan 2021, 8:30am At least we are all on a level playing field now. No more Tier groups, we are all in Lockdown 3. It is what was needed. I was encouraged to hear that the 'stay at home' message is legally enforceable. However, there are still loads of residents around me driving off this morning. They can't all be essential workers.

Thanks for all your kind comments in wishing our members who have struggled all the best. I'm sure there are many we haven't heard from. -Disappointment.png-
The Western isles have stayed in a tier 3, we recently had a very small outbreak caused by Medical staff from the mainland not being tested and a few other cases turned out to be 'false positives' https://www.hebrides-news.com/positive- ... -2121.html this has happened quite frequently. Their was an outbreak down in Uist but this was quickly contained...All our schools are shut though except for key workers this was in place before the holidays...With a population of 27000 spread out across the Western isles it would be an ideal place to get people vaccinated quickly and be an easy place to monitor the effects (Just my opinion)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 06 11:58

Firstly I would like to express my sympathy to anyone affected by this and would encourage those that want to to reach out and talk to someone.

I'm kind of shocked that a nation as big and well resourced as ours can fail it's people so badly.
The western isles and the Isle of man show the way forward.

Close the borders to all passengers except where completely essential and then only after testing.
A relatively short severe lockdown will eliminate most of the active virus. then trace aggressively the outbreaks that do occur and force isolation where necessary.
The numbers will fall allowing the economy to get back to some semblance of normality safely and without causing the huge spikes in transmission that we currently have.

You sit tight Buffer you are in the best place possible (stunning views as well) -Like.png-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Buffer
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 06 12:07

Vera wrote: Wed, 6th Jan 2021, 11:58am

You sit tight Buffer you are in the best place possible (stunning views as well) -Like.png-
Hopefuly will stay this way, Mind you a year ago i thought it was all media hype and would blow over -Zip.png-
Bigbear69
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 06 16:34

Follow the rules: my town can't even follow the One Way signs around the shopping centre and started giving me abuse for pointing it out.
I just walked away. And no longer go to the shopping centre.
Emailed the centre managers but its not their fault.

And thats why we are in lockdown, they're just simple rules to follow