Have you or any of your family had COVID-19?

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2021 08 10:53

Have you or any of your family had COVID-19?

I know it is a sensitive question, but have you or any of your family had COVID-19?

Have you lost love ones?

While updating members avatars, I couldn't help notice that some regular active members haven't been on the forum for a while, a few months at least. The thought went through my mind... I wonder how many caretakers have been taken by this virus. Guess we will never know the full cost of this pandemic.

I'm lucky, I don't have many family members but thankfully, the few we have are doing OK.

If you have had COVID, maybe you would be happy to share what you went through and how long it took you to get over it (if indeed you have got over it).

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 08 11:10

Re: Have you or any of your family had COVID-19?

My brother works for Eastbourne Council & was tasked with getting deliveries out to food banks during the first lockdown. He contracted Covid in the course of these deliveries. Luckily he was not hospitalized. He was off work for about a month. Although he is not suffering from the effects of Long Covid, he still gets tired quickly & has little energy at the end of a working day.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 08 12:15

Well worded CT. I too have wondered about one or two of our members who no longer post. I hope that all is well with them and it is something positive that has caused their absence.

Everyone in our house got Covid back in Aug/Oct. For us it was headaches and cold/flu symptoms. Fortunately, the only lingering symptom, though now gone, was the loss of taste and smell.

Accompanied by my wife, I saw my 78 year old mum, for the first time in 18 months, at the weekend and got a long-awaited hug or two. My sister moved in with her for the last lock down so she hadn't been alone. We waited to visit until of us had both vaccine jabs and my wife and myself took the precaution of taking a lateral flow test the evening before. I count my blessings that she has remained safe and, as yet, that nobody close to me has been lost to Covid.

Hope all site users and their loved ones stay safe.
Leatherface
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 08 12:17

Yep. I had my interview for this job early October last year and three days later had a positive test. I put it down to the Amazon deliveries I'd been doing beforehand. My start date for the job was about 2 or three days after my isolation officially ended (fortunateley I wasn't hospitalised either) and to be honest I've never felt so --- censored word --- awful. For about 6 weeks I was trying to learn a new job while feeling constantly drained. Luckily I recovered, but I have to admit to feeling much more tired, more quickly than before. Surprisingly none of my family were affected, despite being confined with me for a couple of weeks.

I haven't lost anybody to it I'm glad to say, but there are a number of staff at my school who have lost people, including the HT.

I'm in no rush to "get back to normal". As long as it takes for me.

To anyone on here who has been affected, you have my sincere best wishes and sympathy.
I have zero problems with social distancing. I've been practicing for years.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 08 15:00

Myself wife and daughter as far as we know have not had it although both wife and I had some strange symptoms (tiredness and blocked heads so not officially covid symptoms) early on in the pandemic at a time when testing wasn't widespread. Still don't really know if we have had it..

I have been fairly cautious throughout.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 08 17:26

My Brother in law and his other half both had it, although he is a BT engineer doing house calls, and she works in a co-op. Thankfully both came through with no serious issues.

I know people that have relatives/friends who have had serious health issues as a result of it, and some who have unfortunately died.

I/we think that my wife had it the --- (The word only permitted in December) --- BEFORE it swept through the world, along with a few others in school. Symptoms were all the same, and took months to fully recover from it.

We've both just had our first vaccinations within the last 2 weeks, and the 2nd ones are due in Mid August (both mid 30s).
eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 08 19:06

We'll only person on here I had told was the caretaker.
Didn't have the cough but was lucky to spend 2 weeks in hospital during the period that mustn't be mentioned.
Felt like I was hit across the back with a scaffold board.
Out of 10 pain was 9.
A couple of times overhead patients being told if so and so happens, there is nothing they can do.
Have long covid & different parts of the body ache every day.
Have other side effects on top of it. Who am on different medication for.
Can't sleep of a night ,but constantly struggle to stay awake sitting in a chair.
Constantly taking painkillers , whereas I might take 2-4 anadin a year.
Still get breathless . Oxygen & pulse readings are still all over the place.
Probably other things but have shut myself off from everything while in hospital,which worked for me.
Everyone has their own way of dealing with things.
Didn't realise how I'll I was until I got out.
Didn't speak to anyone outside of close family for at least a month after getting out. Constantly getting upset and wanting to cry when thinking about what had happened.
Hardest part to still trying to deal with is that family planning on buying a coffin,which has my eyes which has tears running down my face.
Where as prior to this nothing would upset me or feel sad
-Kiss.png- I AM A REALIST NOT A PESSOMIST
MrMoustache
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 09 08:19

I had the Covid twice, Easter last year and end of January this year.

Considering I had a main heart attack (called the mother of the widow makers) and a blood clot five years ago I was a bit worried

The first time was very aggressive for couple of weeks but not hospital, I was weak for long time, up and down until the winter but somehow manageable (consider I've a good resilience if I survived to that heart attack)
Second time was less aggressive the infection (probably my body learnt something), just high temperature, pain everywhere, nausea, headache etc but the recovery was terrible, I was extremely tired for 6 weeks, not energy at all, until I've done my first jab and two week after suddenly everything was over
UnderPaid
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 09 10:42

eggy wrote: Tue, 8th Jun 2021, 7:06pm We'll only person on here I had told was the caretaker.
Didn't have the cough but was lucky to spend 2 weeks in hospital during the period that mustn't be mentioned.
Felt like I was hit across the back with a scaffold board.
Out of 10 pain was 9.
A couple of times overhead patients being told if so and so happens, there is nothing they can do.
Have long covid & different parts of the body ache every day.
Have other side effects on top of it. Who am on different medication for.
Can't sleep of a night ,but constantly struggle to stay awake sitting in a chair.
Constantly taking painkillers , whereas I might take 2-4 anadin a year.
Still get breathless . Oxygen & pulse readings are still all over the place.
Probably other things but have shut myself off from everything while in hospital,which worked for me.
Everyone has their own way of dealing with things.
Didn't realise how I'll I was until I got out.
Didn't speak to anyone outside of close family for at least a month after getting out. Constantly getting upset and wanting to cry when thinking about what had happened.
Hardest part to still trying to deal with is that family planning on buying a coffin,which has my eyes which has tears running down my face.
Where as prior to this nothing would upset me or feel sad
That sounds horrific, hope things get better soon.
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.
Sgtspite1968
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 09 22:30

My wife and i both work in schools, unfortunately we contracted covid-19 at the same time just before --- (The word only permitted in December) --- (Last day of term)
I won't go into detail but probably the worst illness i have ever had, my wife is now left with long covid and i have noticed a significant impact on my long term fitness, I suffer breathing difficulties and chest pain where I had none before, and she struggles to fulfil her role as she now tires very easily.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 10 07:35

This really is a hideous illness.

Wishing everyone good health
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-