Ear infection

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2021 17 07:25

Ear infection

For the past 3+ weeks, I've been feeling very poorly. Yesterday, I had a fever. I sat in front of the aircon stripped off to my underpants and I just sweat constantly for 4 hours. I've got really bad tinnitus (high pitched screaming in my ear) and the room is spinning really fast. I was almost sick twice. I don't think I've ever felt so bad. I almost called for an ambulance as I thought I was going to pass out.

Generally, I've just got constant Tinnitus and a spinning head. Thankfully, the fever (sweating) has stopped. I've tried using ear drops, but they haven't worked.

I've not got any pain from my ear, but I bought one of those Otoscope cameras off Amazon to look inside my ear. I'm going to admit defeat and contact a doctor on Monday.

There seems to be a downy hairy stuff attached to the drum. It is red on one side. Watch to the end. The last few seconds, I held my nose and blew (Valsalva maneuver) and it looks like my ear drum has air sacks on it.

Any thoughts please?

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 17 09:16

Re: Ear infection

Must admit that I did not have the stomach to watch the video. But you are certainly doing the right thing in contacting your GP. It will probably be cleared up with some ear drops or a course of antibiotics. Ear infections can really pull you down.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 17 10:44

Like drone I chickened out on watching the video but agree the doctor will know best the way forward, a course of antibiotics usually sorts this kind of thing out.

Take care.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 17 11:45

The Dr is the right way to go C/T. As Keyolder says a course of antibiotics should sort it out.
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2021 17 13:45

Thanks. I hope I can get an appointment. I expect I'll have to see the nurse first to be triaged and may get an appointment in a few days if I am lucky. The website booking system says no appointments available, but it has said that for 6 months now.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Jul 2021 17 17:42

Can you send the video to your Doctor
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2021 17 22:23

inspector wrote: Sat, 17th Jul 2021, 5:42pm Can you send the video to your Doctor
I've put it on my phone so I can show the nurse. They are doing over the phone appointments, or were during the pandemic. I'll find out on Monday (if I can get through).

With the massive increase in COVID this week (Council added my old school up the road as a testing centre due to the high rise in cases in my area) I'm not really happy in mixing with patience. I'll not be going out without a mask.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2021 19 09:54

Got an appointment for Wednesday with a nurse at a different surgery in the group. Not my own. Hope I can hang out another few days.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Jul 2021 19 10:52

Is that for an URGENT appointment or have you just been asking for an appointment ?
chazwick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 19 14:20

Two things spring to mind...
Labyrinthitis-an infection of the inner ear.
Meniere's disease-a defect of the inner ear.

I have suffered with Meniere's over the years.
I have been under the audiology dept of my local hospital for a long time. I've not had symptoms for four years now, take medication daily and avoid salt and caffiene.
Good Luck!