Ear infection

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2021 19 17:08

Re: Ear infection

inspector wrote: Mon, 19th Jul 2021, 10:52am Is that for an URGENT appointment or have you just been asking for an appointment ?
It's the best I could get inspector. 2 week ago, my surgery announced that it would be closed to patience due to "several unexpected staff bereavements". They didn't give any further details but we are now a part of a group of 3 surgeries in the town. It looks like they are using the others to fill the gap.

My appointment is with the Senior Nurse Practitioner not a GP. For some time they have been running a kind of Triage system. If the nurse thinks it is serious enough, then she arranges an appointment with an actual GP. So it could be another week away if she does refers me.

As far as I am aware, only a GP can issue a prescription. So if I need antibiotics I don't think she can prescribe it for me.

I'm very disillusioned by the way GP's work these days. My practice only had 1 part time GP (I think the other full time GP left due to the new management), if that one was part of the "bereavement", then they don't have a GP I can see at my normal surgery. Hence being shipped out to another 3 miles away. -Angry.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 19 18:56

thecaretaker wrote: Mon, 19th Jul 2021, 5:08pm If the nurse thinks it is serious enough, then she arranges an appointment with an actual GP. So it could be another week away if she does refers me.
This is how my local health centre has functioned for over a year now...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Jul 2021 19 19:00

CT, some nurses are qualified to write Prescriptions, and I think a Practitioner Nurse would be one.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2021 21 13:11

I arrived 10 mins before my appointment. The only staff on duty were 2 receptionists and the nurse.

7 people came in and went out after being seen by the nurse. After 30 minutes, I was beginning to think I had been forgotten. I then thought, if she was running late, the waiting room would be packed with patience who had turned up (like me) on time and yet, I and one other was all that was in there. I was just about to speak to the receptionist to ask if I had been forgotten when I was called.

What a waste of time. The nurse practitioner admitted she didn't really know about ears. She went to look in my ears. First otoscope didn't work, had to wait 10 minutes while she looked for another.

She looked in my ears and said she couldn't see anything wrong.

She spent most of her time looking on Google. I explained that many years ago, I had problems with stomach acid which at night I breathed in and it burnt my the other side of my ear drub through the Eustachian tubes. To show her ignorance, she couldn't even pronounce Eustachian tube and had to look it up on Google to see what it was and how it is connected to the nose.

She's prescribed me some nasal spray which should clear my nose. It may have some effect on my Eustachian tube, but I regularly use Sudafed for blocked nose so anyway, so I doubt it will work...

This is the second time when I have visited the doctors where they spent most of my appointment looking the symptoms up on Google. Last time it was actually a GP. Hell, I can (and do) look things up on Google, but you expect a trained nurse or GP to have some knowledge themselves.

I think it is about time I found myself another practise. -Angry.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2021 21 16:25

Just picked up my prescription. It is a nasal spray called Avamys. Seems to treat allergy's like hay fever. It isn't an over the counter drug, so might do the trick. Says you will start to notice the effects in 8-10 days. -JawDropped.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 22 07:49

Hope that the prescription works for you CT. It seems that it has been based on a wing and a prayer rather than medical understanding which is worrying, not only for yourself, but all of us!