spillage granules

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

ash70
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 16 11:31

spillage granules

hi all my sbm has asked me about getting some spillage granules for bodily fluids so have to be bio hazard. i have used stuff before which has stained carpets. has anyone got any advice for any they have used that don't leave a stain mark many thanks
my life is like a game of tetris i never get the block i want
eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 16 11:42

Re: spillage granules

We use the gel type that swells up when it absorbs liquid's.
Problem is that people go mad with it when putting it down.
Used to have a head teacher who would get us to use cat litter on vinyl & hard floors.
He who can does, he who cannot, teaches.
George Bernard Shaw
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 16 12:06

eggy wrote: Wed, 16th Sep 2020, 11:42am We use the gel type that swells up when it absorbs liquid's.
Problem is that people go mad with it when putting it down.
Used to have a head teacher who would get us to use cat litter on vinyl & hard floors.
We use sawdust on both hard and carpet floors.
Use it to soak up the liquid then brush it up and clean up with appropriate disinfectant etc.
Dead cheap and lasts for ages.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 16 12:08

Sorry Eggy. didn't mean to quote you... -Crazy.png-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
jholden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 16 14:29

Our lads use a powder, can't remember who makes it but they say it works very well indeed. I started working here as the D&T Technician, and we use to buy cat litter to use for spill control in the workshop, before all the fancy absorbent pads and powders became readily available to anyone outside heavy industry.
beagle
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 16 15:25

I used to use Sani-dri granules it was great stuff, for some reason I cannot find it anywhere now. We just tend to go with a George wet/dry vac and just clean it up straight away, quick, easy and cleaned in seconds.
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain".
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Sep 2020 16 15:51

Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 16 15:56

Yep Sanidri here as well. Admittedly haven't had to order any for a while though....
Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 16 20:33

I used a Vax Commercial VCW-02 Spot Cleaner to pick up anything rancid coming out of children.
1st I would spray a mix of disinfectant and anti-biological liquid (Clear?) on the mess, then with the same liquid in the clean water reservoir, would use the wet hoover brush to vacuum it all up.
It was always a mess sometimes because they'd use sawdust to cover it up with, I told the staff to use paper towels to cover and place a chair over it if I wasn't on site. Sawdust is not good for a wet/dry hoover !!!! it goes everywhere inside the machine, somehow, and is difficult to hoover up on carpet anyhow.
But it did clean the mess up pretty damn good and euthanased all the germs etc, and left a nice smell.
So much easier on lino.

Dont forget to clean (disinfect) the machine thoroughly after each use. -Like.png-
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower