Painting

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 08:07

Painting

Hi everyone.

I have decided to start painting this week. I can't do the the classrooms as they are keeping the kids in every class bubble separate, so I am painting the stairs and passageways. I come in for an hour and a half in the morning to unlock and check the school for the H&S checks and then I come back at 2:30pm for 6 hours and get as much as I can get painted.

My 5 yr plan was to get this school painted in both buildings and to get the railings painted too, and as we are another lock down I thought that I should take the opportunity to get started on it.

I now have an extremely happy HT, she's really happy we are going from green and lilacs to magnolia. She wanted to keep the cost of the paint down and I said Colours were so damn expensive where as you can get 2 tubs of magnolia or white for £20 at Tradepoint and she said to just order a bulk load so I bought a pallet load and as I have a trade card with them it bought it down to around £15 for 2 tubs, so she was even more pleased with the saving.

Is there any of you who have decided to do the same?
The power of the hour maketh you stronger for longer. -Success.png-
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 08:24

Re: Painting

In all honesty too many staff and children to even attempt the painting..

The hall is in desperate need but as its in use for breakfast club lunchtimes and after school club it's a total no go... -Hah.png-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 08:49

We got a guy in over the summer a couple of years ago. Professional painter, so he was twice as fast as me doing it. He did the whole school in 6 weeks. It did cost 15k though! You are right about using Magnolia. Its cheap enough to get hold of. The kids here lean against the wall when lining up for dinners and the wall can become a bit dirty after a few months. Just grab the Magnolia and the wall looks fab again in no time. -Success.png-
You see, Rock and Roll isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force. It's something very essential. - The Edge.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 09:18

i save all my painting for the holidays, the building is so small here that it would be suicide trying to paint when the building is in use, people are everywhere.

on the colours front, we are of the opposite opinion here, we are trying to breathe life into the building and are doing classrooms in colours. although we keep neutral areas in neutral colours (magnolia)
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff -Success.png-
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 09:39

I got a lot of painting done the first lockdown, this time it is going to be a lot harder so I think a lot of it is going to have to wait for the summer.

We do a bit of a mix here, there were some classroom done in very deep colours so that they were very dark and I have brightened them up in white or magnolia. There are some classrooms which I have done in white and then one or 2 walls in brighter colours which seems to be very popular and a bit less clinical without making the rooms too dark. I usually keep an eye out for when paint is on sale and order loads as it can be very expensive.
Derek N
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 10:11

HI
I'm Same as everyone I got loads of painting done first lockdown as we was just a kid sitting service so we kept them in the hall 1 classroom and outside. Way before first Lockdown we have a meeting about every holiday would I mind painting a classroom which I was happy to do. so the day they announced schools would close I went to see the HT and said this is the perfect time can we order the Paint and I will do as much as I can during the lockdown so she bite my hand off and told me to get anything ordered I needed no matter the cost. She then emailed all the staff to remove everything from there walls which they wasn't happy with and id tell them when I would start and finish so during that time there room was closed and there was no access.
3 of the rooms was bright Yellow so it took some covering with white which we wanted to brighten up the space. 11 classrooms was painted and woodwork glossed 4 Middle small group rooms was painted and glossed and I also got some sections on corridors repainted which was looking dirty also my office and the Kitchen office. I had help in one room by a TA but after that I told him not to come back as her decided to paint the carpet at the same time with half a tin of paint -Shock.png-

The HT stayed working from home and left the DHT in charge so when the HT came back in September she was very shocked at what I had managed to do. All worked out though got a promotion in December from caretaker to Site manager for everything I did last year :)
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 10:35

First lockdown personally painted the whole of the back corridor and 1/3 front corridor, kids in the rest, also PE corridor, 70% of the sports and community building.
Other site supervisor painted drama and music corridor and finished front corridor in summer hols.

Now painting Fitness room in sports building, lumps out of the wall where weights etc have hit them so bottom metre lined with ply for protection and then painted.
MAGNOLIA only! red gloss on doors and frames.

Saved £1,000`s
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 13:08

In the years i was at school i painted every room and some at least twice. -Thumb_up-

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 14:11

Derek N wrote: Tue, 12th Jan 2021, 10:11am HI
I'm Same as everyone I got loads of painting done first lockdown as we was just a kid sitting service so we kept them in the hall 1 classroom and outside. Way before first Lockdown we have a meeting about every holiday would I mind painting a classroom which I was happy to do. so the day they announced schools would close I went to see the HT and said this is the perfect time can we order the Paint and I will do as much as I can during the lockdown so she bite my hand off and told me to get anything ordered I needed no matter the cost. She then emailed all the staff to remove everything from there walls which they wasn't happy with and id tell them when I would start and finish so during that time there room was closed and there was no access.
3 of the rooms was bright Yellow so it took some covering with white which we wanted to brighten up the space. 11 classrooms was painted and woodwork glossed 4 Middle small group rooms was painted and glossed and I also got some sections on corridors repainted which was looking dirty also my office and the Kitchen office. I had help in one room by a TA but after that I told him not to come back as her decided to paint the carpet at the same time with half a tin of paint -Shock.png-

The HT stayed working from home and left the DHT in charge so when the HT came back in September she was very shocked at what I had managed to do. All worked out though got a promotion in December from caretaker to Site manager for everything I did last year :)

Congratulations on your promotion sir, well deserved. Sounds like they really love the way you work. -Happy.png-
MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 14:17

Sounds like I missed out the first lockdown...

It's great to hear that almost everyone is or has painted their schools. I love our Victorian building's, but they are just so darn high. lol -Big grin.png-
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 14:59

I touch up the whole school every summer, admittedly not a whole school paint, but don't get a penny- £15K seems like a nice little earner. Magnolia just about everywhere.
Derek N
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 18:51

MWCracker wrote: Tue, 12th Jan 2021, 2:11pm Congratulations on your promotion sir, well deserved. Sounds like they really love the way you work. -Happy.png-
Thank you MWCracker. They do I’m always told I’m never aloud to leave mostly off the HT. that’s how I got the promotion though looking at site manager jobs including another school that’s joining the same Trust I’m with.