Carpet tile problem

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Johnsilv1958
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 21 17:35

Carpet tile problem

OK.. We have a shiny new infants school, finished in 2014. Here's the thing, keeping the floor clean in classrooms is an absolute nightmare. The kids are dropped off at a door that leads straight into the classroom, there is about 2 metres of a crappy nylon barrier carpet leading into classroom. The cloakrooms are located in the corridor just outside the classroom. So the kids drag dirt in from playtime right through the classroom to get to the cloakroom where their shoes are. I, ve watched kids during playtime go to the teacher say that they want the loo and then just run in, sometimes wearing wellies!!. There seems to be no discipline about telling the kids to take their outdoor shoes /wellies off before going inside. I, ve talked to the ht but nothings been done so far. This is in my opinion a major design fault in the design layout. has anybody else got a similar scenario? and how do I go about changing people's attitude without --- censored word --- everyone off.... Also the carpet tiles are so compacted with dirt a scrub and wet vac doesn, t make much difference. I, ve been over one area 4 times and the dirt just keeps coming to the surface.. Do I need a pile lifter to help get carpets cleaner?. Has anyone used one. Btw the colour is a very light green which shows any marks.
eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 21 17:47

Re: Carpet tile problem

We started off with similar mats to the link & I think they were exchanged every 2 weeks. Possibly contract was with Initial hygiene.
Then we just bought the ones in the link if you search the internet you can find different colours
https://www.screwfix.com/p/coba-europe- ... lsrc=aw.ds
-Kiss.png- I AM A REALIST NOT A PESSIMIST
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 21 18:44

Getting the staff to ensure the kids take their boots of has been an issue at a couple of schools I've worked in. I've had the odd run in with sports teachers who have strolled into school with filthy studded boots. Unfortunately unless the head lays down the law you will find yourself banging your head on a wall. The only time I got anywhere was by telling the cleaner to be very sparing on the worst areas. After a week the head was asking why it looked so bad and I reminded him of my previous moan. It changed for a while but they slipped back into ignoring the order to remove boots.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 22 06:46

Try one of this style outside each door.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rubbe ... 27&bih=802

It acts as a pre-scrubber before they get in, just by walking on it.
cilly13
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 22 08:32

we had a similar problem but lucky it was only two doors where it happened and we have carpet tiles, tried talking to the teachers and TA even went to the HT like your but that was pointless as with most heads. what i ended up doing was every two weeks i would pull up the carpet tiles an area of about 4x4 tiles and take outside then jet wash with carpet a universal cleaner in it and then put wet vac on them worked a treat, then the head got fake grass so no longer bacame an issue