Modular Building Carpets

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Sep 2021 14 20:44

Modular Building Carpets

Hi, we have a modular building that was supposed to be temporary about 30 years ago (a familiar story I'm sure) and we are looking at replacing the carpets as some are falling to bits. The problem is that the carpets have also been put on to cover the bottom half of all the walls (5 classrooms + corridors) and the HT wants me to pull all the carpet off the walls and not replace it - probably just paint the walls. I was wondering if anybody else has done this or if you have any alternative suggestions as obviously the walls underneath are going to be covered in glue so it seems like quite a big job to do this and make it look good? -Scared.png-
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 15 06:27

Re: Modular Building Carpets

Handyman wrote: Tue, 14th Sep 2021, 8:44pm Hi, we have a modular building that was supposed to be temporary about 30 years ago (a familiar story I'm sure) and we are looking at replacing the carpets as some are falling to bits. The problem is that the carpets have also been put on to cover the bottom half of all the walls (5 classrooms + corridors) and the HT wants me to pull all the carpet off the walls and not replace it - probably just paint the walls. I was wondering if anybody else has done this or if you have any alternative suggestions as obviously the walls underneath are going to be covered in glue so it seems like quite a big job to do this and make it look good? -Scared.png-
I have had carpets on walls, though not in a modular. The glue swirls were horrendous. Paint alone won't make it look good. Even prepping the walls to then have something else stuck over the top was awful. You might get lucky and it only be spray glue underneath, but I doubt it.
MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 15 07:47

All depending on how high the carpet goes up the wall. If it goes 6-9" I would just get some nice skirting to cover it. Otherwise it will be a course sanding job. Luckily mine were on brickwork and went up 15" I sanded down to 9" and then got some nice Ogee skirting and then Gripfilled to wall and decors caulked and painted and it looks amazing, better than the wall going straight to the floor.
The power of the hour maketh you stronger for longer. -Success.png-
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 15 10:30

I had to rip all the glued down carpet in a ports cabin, it was a nightmare so had to re think how i go about it and the easy way was cut strips about 5" wide and then a garden hoe sharpened to a blade and away i went. Took a long time but it came up in the end and boy did i sweet as it was in the summer holidays, so lots of tea and water and radio full blast and a good pair og builders gloves or my hands would have suffered. -Success.png-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 15 14:34

cover the offending areas in hygiene board
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Sep 2021 15 18:19

Thanks all for the responses. I have taken a look behind some of the carpet and the glue swirls are pretty horrific. Also the carpets go about 1m up the wall so I will do the scraping/sanding if I need to but with all those classrooms and corridors it is a bit daunting and the HT seems to think it is a 5 minute job. Even just the painting might take a while, I did the top half of all this area in the summer, so I know what to expect.

The hygiene panels sound like a good idea, especially as the few areas where there is no carpet on the plasterboard it gets damaged a lot so could do with something to protect it. I will also think about the ogee skirting board as that would look a lot nicer than the skirting boards they have now.