Static in ICT Base

Get hints and tips, discuss about equipment care, tools...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Taz
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 11 17:13

Static in ICT Base

I've recently purchased a couple of new hoovers, and have no issues with them at all. Other than a huge amount of static from the ICT base when hoovering in there.

Never really noticed it in there before, but the power and suction on these machines is so great, that you seem to get a small shock every now and then.

There's 29 laptops, server, and another stand alone computer hooked up to the smart board, as well as the usual projector, speakers, air conditioning unit.

Has anybody come across similar problems before?

There have been no complaints of "shocks" from anyone, other than my cleaner, and myself when I've done that room. Other than putting a bit of tape around the top of the tube, to maybe give it less chance of your hand coming into contact with the metal, I'm not really sure what to do. Go to suppliers? Possible esrthing issue with something in the room?

Really am stumped on this one [Scared.png]

Keyolder
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 11 19:57

Re: Static in ICT Base

Static shocks, IT rooms are notorious for a dry atmosphere its the dirt and dust being collected that generates the charge as it gets vacuumed up the hose, try wearing rubber gloves and rubber healed shoes.

The room needs more moisture...
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think you’re a looney [Crazy.png]

OXSET
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 12 09:37

turn the aircon off as early as poss.. may help the atmosphere in the room

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 12 11:26

In another life as a security manager one particular site i used to check with the on site security had a long corridoor and when you reache the end and grabbed the door handle you got a shock from the carpet i suppose, so when i reached that door in future i used to touch the wall and earth myself out before grabbing that door handle. [Shock.png] [Success.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Skoolkeeper
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 12 12:00

Certain shoes/boots and clothing I wear, I get static shocks, so have learnt my lessons, cotton clothing and leather footwear seen to do the trick [Neutral.png]

Taz
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 14 06:55

Thanks for the suggestions guys

JohnE875
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 14 09:06

Give it someone else to clean.
Nils Illigitimi Carborundum

TheTusk
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 14 09:16

We had this problem in the summer in most of the carpeted areas. The cleaners now spray a few squirts of diluted Comfort fabric softener on the carpet before vacuuming and that has sorted the problem. Smells nice too.