Lockdown/Fire Alarm intergration

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

DAE avatar
Harrison-J
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 11:54

Lockdown/Fire Alarm intergration

Morning all (just)

I've been asked by my SBM to look into getting a lockdown system that can be integrated into the existing fire alarms (5 un-linked across site)

Does anyone have any experience with this? A google has brought a few companies up, just curios on others experience. As at previous school we used walkie talkies throughout the site to alert everyone.

Thank you in advance
John

NEITTech
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 12:19

Re: Lockdown/Fire Alarm intergration

Harrison-J wrote:
Thu, Jth May 2019, 11:54am
Morning all (just)

I've been asked by my SBM to look into getting a lockdown system that can be integrated into the existing fire alarms (5 un-linked across site)

Does anyone have any experience with this? A google has brought a few companies up, just curios on others experience. As at previous school we used walkie talkies throughout the site to alert everyone.

Thank you in advance
John
In my experience there's plenty of lockdown systems that integrate with fire alarm systems, but the question is whether your existing fire alarm systems will integrate with a lockdown system. Typically, the panels and sounders only generate one type of signal/sound, which is your fire alarm. It may well be cheaper to find a standalone lockdown system. There's usually a few options available. Walkie talkies, VOIP phones or even an IP-based lockdown system that uses your existing network infrastructure so you don't have essentially rewire everywhere where your fire alarm system operates.

halarider
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 13:04

Hi, we have 2 systems that we decided to link, as they were on adjacent sites, and then they installed this
https://www.thesafetycentre.co.uk/haes- ... gLMNfD_BwE
all it does is make the fire bell, intermittent and you can select how big a gap between rings.

DAE avatar
ianjinks2000
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 13:35

We had the fire alarm people come in and setup a different signal linked to a call button in the office when pressed the fire alarm rings with a different tone think it cost £150-£200

premisesq1
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 13:45

Hello

We had a lockdown system tagged onto the existing fire alarm. The sirens sounded intermittently instead of constant but the vast majority of staff and students thought it was the fire alarm as it was so similar and evacuated. The lockdown alarm trigger points were removed because of this and powers that be are now trying to come up with something else. Its difficult as there are so many scenarios to consider that may need different actions. From full lockdown or evac to partial depending on the nature and whereabouts of the incident.

National Counter Terrorism Security Office recommend not using fire alarms to avoid confusion.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... n_v1_0.pdf

Im curious to hear what systems others have in place as well......

seanallen
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 14:36

I've been looking into this. One thing to be aware of, you may need to progress from a lock-down to an evacuation so the alarm sounds must be distinctly different.
Due to the present financial situation, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily switched off.

chrismccol
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 15:38

We use our lunch and playtime bell for lock downs. All we did was to get a sparky to put in an emergency button which stays latched on until released. We keep the bell going for at least 30 seconds. The lunch bell only last for a few seconds so it's quite easy to tell apart, and is totally different to the fire alarm.
I'm a caretaker. I solve problems you don't know you have in many ways you can't understand. [JawDropped.png]

trout39843
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 16:17

We have a Hochiki fire alarm system that runs not only that but our lockdown bell and class change bell. In fact you can have (I think) up to 36 different tones on this. Just one system for multi function.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus, Mortiti.

scrubadub
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 17:19

chrismccol wrote:
Thu, Jth May 2019, 3:38pm
We use our lunch and playtime bell for lock downs. All we did was to get a sparky to put in an emergency button which stays latched on until released. We keep the bell going for at least 30 seconds. The lunch bell only last for a few seconds so it's quite easy to tell apart, and is totally different to the fire alarm.
same here, we looked into various alarms and the cost to update an already (working well) antiquated system was a bit expensive.

motorr
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 22:44

If you are a LA school call your LA for advise. Not sure which country you are in but down south with have a good property service and caretaking support service at country that will help and advise. It could by that other school in your area are looking at the same thing.