School Van

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: jay, inspector, Dragonrider, thecaretaker

Hedgehog
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 29 20:47

School Van

Our school van for maintenance use has failed its mot in a big way. Its getting on for 14 years old now so we are looking at a replacement van.
We only.do about 1200 miles a year and we are looking at either a Transit or Mercedes Sprinter around £6k

What do you have and do you have any recommendations?
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 30 10:23

Re: School Van

A school van! Lucky you. Our federation relies heavily on the fact that I have a van. I can honestly say the job would not be achievable without it as proved by the fact that it has been off the road for a few days with a broken leaf on the rear spring. I am buying a stop gap tomorrow and will be sitting down with the Management to discuss my vehicle use and lack of mileage payment. We are very low key and laid back but enough is enough. On the subject of a 6 grand van ................ It's likely to be 10 years old and 100k miles. So you are likely to be spending more on it in the not too distant future.
Hedgehog
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 30 11:37

It gets used to transport things between our Prep school and College sites and to our playing fields. All three sites are about 2 miles from each other. We also transport instruments to the concerts we hold at outside venues so it does have its uses but doesnt cover a huge mileage.
The current one is an 04 Transit. Cost of welding alone is going to be silly money.
eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 30 12:24

Why not look at leasing. Do you have a minibus, as you could always remove some of the seats if you are allowed to.
He who can does, he who cannot, teaches.
George Bernard Shaw
Hedgehog
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 30 17:40

eggy wrote: ↑Thu, 30th Jul 2020, 12:24pm Why not look at leasing. Do you have a minibus, as you could always remove some of the seats if you are allowed to.
Funny you should say that, we have a minibus that is also up for replacement however the minibus is in far better condition than the van and its 5 years newer. We could take the seats out and use it as a van.....hmmmmmm -Like.png-