What Do You Carry

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 12 18:31

What Do You Carry

Well have been looking for a while on possibly getting a new multi tool to carry. So what do you use or recommend.
I have a variety of Swiss Army Knives & occasionally carry a very basic one & also have SAK Spirit which is probably the best but a bit big.
Had a Leather man PST years ago but didn't like the grip, for a while was using a Micra but back in the draw.
Got a Gerber Suspension but to heavy.
So tend to carry a DeWalt pocket multi tool. Probably the right weight for what I need.
So can you recommend something light weight,has a knife,pliers, Phillips & slotted screwdriver & lastly scissors.
Comfortable grip & not expensive, so under £40 if possible.
He who can does, he who cannot, teaches.
George Bernard Shaw
Augusta
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 19 20:30

Re: What Do You Carry

New to the job, 3 weeks now. Read the post and on your recommendation bought the DeWalt multi tool ...really handy! Great little tool and saves time having to go back for toolbag when it's a small fix while out on site. Used it a few times now
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 20 03:55

My days spent in the U. S. Infantry we were issued the Swiss multi-tool, When I retired I took it with me, 18 years later she still serves me fine.
A bit price looking on the infonet but has a lifetime warranty.
Basically said, if you want a tool to use and last you then don't buy cheap.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus, Mortiti.
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 20 09:58

Check it out, the thing about a multi-tool is the guarantee. If you get one from the shops at a good price, then after some tine a blade or two breaks. You can't send it in to be repaired or replaced so you have to buy another one.
Gerber, Victorinox and Leatherman all have great multi-tools, I know, I own all three. And they give a lifetime warranty, I know 'cause I have sent them in to replace broken blades and was no charge.
Personally I use my Swiss tool. it is comfortable to me and has sentimental value.
There are down sides to all so it is just what you feel comfortable with.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus, Mortiti.
Gigantor
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 01 09:15

I carry a Gerber center drive with me most of the time. Until it recently broke, I contacted Gerber and after a few emails between us, I am very happy with their customer support, I'm getting a new replacement of the updated model, the center drive plus -Like.png- I'm just waiting for it to arrive.

I can't work out how it snapped as I was just retightening a screw in a wooden block, only thing I can think of it was a defect in the bolt thing holding it in place.

But I still recommend it as the screwdriver is in the center of the tool , rather than being offset, and it takes normal 1/4 hex bits.
IMG_20200918_093444_7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Could you just...?" "When you get a chance... No rush.(But what I actually mean is right now)"
PAUL.C
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 01 09:17

Leatherman Charge TTI the best money can buy.
Is it that TIME already
estd
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 01 09:54

Gerber as well plus a Kershaw screwdriver that looks like a pen with assorted bits inside it.

Just watch being in possession outside of work !
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 01 09:56

Already carry on my belt..
Bunch of keys on a jailers ring
Radio
Phone
ID tag on extendable cable
Personal hand gell bottle.
Face shield for First aid CPR.

Anything more and my pants will fall down.... -Big grin.png-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
UnderPaid
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 01 10:06

Just a small box cutter keyring, If something needs fixing it goes on a list and will be fixed when i get the time and use my tool bag.
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 01 10:13

Before retirement i always had a Leatherman and an old trusted penknife that a elderly neighbour gave me when i joined up and have always carried it with me in service life and civilian life. -Like.png-

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 01 10:26

I carry a Nite ize key tool - Nite Ize KMTCK-01-R3 Doohic Clip Key Tool, Black , off of Amazon. It doesn't have a Philips head but does most things I do. Good thing is it is always with my keys- one on work and one on car keys. Having had a nice small leatherman (squirt) I had to hand in at Disneyland Paris as it was deemed dangerous- hence now only carry the key tool. Will open boxes/cuts cable ties/flat head screwdriver/bottle opener- all for about £5. There are Philips head/scissor versions but haven't got one yet.
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 01 11:17

Leatherman Wave every time! not in your budget but you get what you pay for, 25 year guarantee which they honour, I also have the bit kit and extender and couldn`t live without it, even has a small screwdriver bit for glasses which comes in really handy for staff glasses -Success.png-
https://www.whitbyandco.co.uk/collectio ... less-steel
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 01 12:33

I’ve had a Leatherman Wingman for ages, a bit too bulky and heavy to carry around though. I used up a voucher and got a Leatherman Squirt recently, much more pocket friendly but still quite robust, only used it a few times so far but time will tell I suppose.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 03 11:58

I have this https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Coa ... ouch-Black mine came with a separate little torch as well as the built in torch, its a great little bit of kit but doesn't have the lifetime guarantee.
Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 03 15:56

Leatherman every time, loads of models to suit your needs and a 25yr guarantee pretty much seals it for me.

I sent back one that I had broke the knife on, I'd had it inscribed too but they sent me a brand new one cos it had no inscription, thats service for you. -Like.png-
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower