Flourescent lamps and tubes

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 18 09:33

Flourescent lamps and tubes

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a company that sells PL-T and F 36w/840 Flourescent lamps a lot cheaper than CEF and TLC? Any help is greatly appreciated guys and gals.
The power of the hour maketh you stronger for longer. -Success.png-
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 18 10:18

Re: Flourescent lamps and tubes

look for a local smallish electrical supplier / distributor.

Speak to them face to face (masks obv's) and setup an account.

CEF are pants and will rip you off whenever possible.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Marsh Harrier
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 18 13:51

Hi I buy a lot from CPC farnell, you need to create an account. The also have T8 flu LED replacements at a good price 5ft led with starter was £7.00
Good hunting.
Marsh
MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 22 07:26

Marsh Harrier wrote: Fri, 18th Sep 2020, 1:51pm Hi I buy a lot from CPC farnell, you need to create an account. The also have T8 flu LED replacements at a good price 5ft led with starter was £7.00
Good hunting.

Do you need to change the gubbins inside the fitment itself or is it plug and play? LED last longer and less maintenance, all the ones I have looked at are sooooo expensive around £15-30 a tube with the starter.
Marsh Harrier
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 23 13:50

Hi the LED tubes mostly come with a starter, do check in the specs and descriptions; so you just swap the tube and starter job done.
You can create a pay as you go account or a business account. Returns on big items can be a hassle to sort, smaller items go through post office returns.
Marsh
MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 25 16:02

Marsh Harrier wrote: Wed, 23rd Sep 2020, 1:50pm Hi the LED tubes mostly come with a starter, do check in the specs and descriptions; so you just swap the tube and starter job done.
You can create a pay as you go account or a business account. Returns on big items can be a hassle to sort, smaller items go through post office returns.
Thank you Marsh Harrier I will look into these. I appreciate your help.
TheJani
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 26 12:52

I had the same problem and CEF were ripping us off. In the end we got them from YPO at a great price, and guess where they were supplied from for YPO - yep CEF....
We have had all our fittings changed to LED strips and they are great, make the whole place so much brighter. It wasn't cheap but we got a large grant from British Airways as they give money away to offset their carbon footprint. So if anyone looking to make the change to LED's, get the grant form from BA....
Who is this super hero? The mild mannered janitor? 🙂
adonis2
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 26 16:43

TheJani wrote: Sat, 26th Sep 2020, 12:52pm I had the same problem and CEF were ripping us off. In the end we got them from YPO at a great price, and guess where they were supplied from for YPO - yep CEF....
We have had all our fittings changed to LED strips and they are great, make the whole place so much brighter. It wasn't cheap but we got a large grant from British Airways as they give money away to offset their carbon footprint. So if anyone looking to make the change to LED's, get the grant form from BA....
I would think British Airways carbon footprint is low at the moment with covid, but thanks for the heads up.
Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 27 01:01

An LED starter is basically a straight through connector (wire) with a fuse inline. If you find the LED tube is not working, its more than likely the starter fuse has blown, you need to buy a box (T8's) of them as spares, like fuses.
Thats if you use an LED tube as a replacement in an old flu tube appliance.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower