Chickens!

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

JonOfham
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 22 18:05

Chickens!

Anyone else have resident chickens at their school? Have you experienced any health problems with them? A couple of ours have lost patches of feathers over the last couple of months and have very red, sore looking skin.
Have used diatomaceous earth and one of the TAs came up with the idea of rubbing sudocrem on the sore looking bits, which seems to have eased the redness, but the feathers don't want to grow back! One also has laid the odd soft shelled or shell-less egg.
Any ideas?
TheRat
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 23 07:50

Re: Chickens!

Sorry I dont have the feather friends at my school. Dont think its worth the hassle and extra work that comes with them. Try google I think -Neutral.png- -Neutral.png-
Living The Dream of Dreams -Like.png-
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 23 08:01

Dust them for mites first but it is more likely they are bored or stressed.

They need stimulating environments or they will soon start pecking each other causing the bald patches.
Try to make sure they can roam free (vegie patches are best as they love slugs). You can also hang a cabbage on a string for them to peck at they love the movement.

You could also speak to any local farmers who have chickens to see if they can help.

Make sure you trim the flight feathers on one wing only so they cant fly over hedges etc. good luck!
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 23 08:28

Not got hens at school but have kept them at home for a few years.

The loss of feathers does sound like red mite but you normally see them in the straw when you collect eggs. Using the DE powder will help but they are hard to shift once you have them in your coop wood. I googled the issue when I had the problem and ended up scrubbing out the coop with disinfectant. I know some recommend creosote as a red mite deterrent.

I had a problem with soft eggshells and bought some chicken grit for them (for dietary purposes) which remedied the problem. I now keep a bowl of the grit in their run.

Good luck.
Bigbear69
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 23 08:32

Could be mites, sure there is a food additive you can buy.
Feathers take a while to grow back, could be up to a year.
Eggs problem, could be lack of calcium, they could break up egg shells and add to their food.
Rochesteruk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 23 09:09

We had chicken for a year, first as eggs and we decided to keep them. I built an incubator type thing with a lamp then built a huge chicken run. To be honest they were a pain in the back side as I was the only one dealing with them. I came up over the ------ The seasonal word only permitted in December ----- to feed them and 3 had been stolen, turned out to be the three Albanian chaps who were painting the next doors schools surrounding fence! The only bonus was the huge amount of eggs that I was allowed to keep for myself.
JonOfham
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 23 13:08

Thanks for all the tips guys.
Yes, it just gets left to me during term time. I thought the chickens were meant for the kids, but no...the risk assessments are too much hassle and it was just to make the school look good. -Mad.png-
Had a massive falling out with the BM earlier as she was expecting me to gather up all the eggs and leave them for staff to take....or her.....I firmly said no, if you want them you can gather them yourself. I'm no-ones butler!
cwagstaff
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 23 13:41

They might be going through the moult at this time of year....usually see feathers all over.
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 23 18:52

We've got them at 2 of our schools. They attract rats!
Bigbear69
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 24 07:06

JonOfham wrote: Wed, 23rd Sep 2020, 1:08pm Thanks for all the tips guys.
Yes, it just gets left to me during term time. I thought the chickens were meant for the kids, but no...the risk assessments are too much hassle and it was just to make the school look good. -Mad.png-
Had a massive falling out with the BM earlier as she was expecting me to gather up all the eggs and leave them for staff to take....or her.....I firmly said no, if you want them you can gather them yourself. I'm no-ones butler!
Eggscellant -Scared.png-
TheRat
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 24 17:13

greenjack wrote: Wed, 23rd Sep 2020, 6:52pm We've got them at 2 of our schools. They attract rats!
EGGACTLY -Crazy.png- -Crazy.png- -Crazy.png-
Living The Dream of Dreams -Like.png-