PAT Testing

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

HandyAndy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 20 11:03

PAT Testing

Looking at buying our own PAT tester to reduce the cost of PAT testing in the long run but with so many on the market can anyone recommend one? We are only a small school so its usually only between 300-350 test per year.

When I done my PAT testing course a few years back they were constantly recommending Seaward testers and I've just been looking at the Seaward 250+ downloadable unit which seems decent but would like feedback if anyone has this one or would recommend an alternative.

Thanks in advance! Apologies if this already has its own topic but and quick search didn't find anything. -Thumb_up-
Derek N
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 20 11:42

Re: PAT Testing

Hi Handyman
Sorry can’t help with a recommendation.
I have also been thinking of doing the course to do my own at my school how much was your course? Only issue I have is it’s probably around 800 tests as we have just bought a load of laptops for per class.
Thanks
ric70
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 20 11:59

I got a basic PAT tester (Battpat) just gives a pass/fail
very simple to use and does the job for a primary school
I do about 400 test a year

https://www.firststopsafety.co.uk/Products/bpat
Jkk114l
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 20 12:08

try the below link very helpful, just done the course here as we have somewhere around 1000+ devices to be tested, the kit was about £1000, so will pay for it's self in the second year-ish!
O went for the kew smartpat kit, it's all in 1 bag and very easy to use, i like the app to remote control the tester and save all to info which i then upload to pc
ADMIN EDIT: https://pat-services.co.uk

Web sites prove their identity via certificates, which are valid for a set time period. The certificate for pat-services.co.uk expired on 13/09/2020.
Tel2203
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 20 14:09

Were a 2 form entry Primary school with about 500+ items.
I use a ParkerBell PB500 and they sell for around £300.
It does the job very well. But doing the testing can be a ball ache when items get borrowed or new one purchased and they don't tell you!!!
Tel2203
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 20 14:11

Derek N wrote: Wed, 20th Jan 2021, 11:42am Hi Handyman
Sorry can’t help with a recommendation.
I have also been thinking of doing the course to do my own at my school how much was your course? Only issue I have is it’s probably around 800 tests as we have just bought a load of laptops for per class.
Thanks
The good thing is that not all the items need to be tested every 12 months. -Thumb_up-
motorr
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 20 14:22

I have a Seaward 100 and I am a Primary school with about 1000 items to test. I would like a better system as I have to hand write the tickets and log the result however you can get systems that do it all. As the job is a pain in the elbow !!! I am trying to divide the school into 4 so that only only have to some each month and not a week of testing which it is at the moment.
Flossdaily
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 20 14:58

I have around 900 items to test. Use a batt pat, simple pass or fail.
No longer log appliance number, waste of time. If it passes it stays, if it fails it goes.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 20 15:17

first stop safety someone has already posted a link to them but i recommend them, their equipment and their training courses
i got the battpat which is idiot proof but more than suitable for our line of work
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff -Success.png-
Bigbear69
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 20 16:51

I use the Seward Primetest 100. Just gives you that little bit of extra info as to why something has failed so you can make a decision. ie if you have a long extension lead the resistance will go up and fail the factory settings but you can make your own call to pass it.
Sgtspite1968
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 20 19:24

Same here with the Seaward, you can't go wrong.
PAUL.C
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 22 09:13

https://www.tester.co.uk I use these when we bought out tester.

I decided on this one just a basic Pass/Fail but has the ability to test at 250 for IT equipment & also long cables. Its is battery operated so very portable. We also used these for our Disinfectant Fogging machine. Would highly recommend.
Is it that TIME already
MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 28 14:56

Hi
I use a seaward primetest 250+ I got the printer and books kit from Tester.co.uk. it's so easy to use and under the new part 5 you have to log Leak test and visuals, which I never had to before.

Ihave used a Robin and a Martindale but found the Seaward is less complicated, literaly just plug in, press a button, record data, print off sticker for items.

-Big grin.png-
The power of the hour maketh you stronger for longer. -Success.png-
cockneychris
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 28 17:13

As always I went over the top to future proof myself and, as a local school was supposed to be going half with the cost so they could use it as well, I got a Seaward Europa Plus with label printer. Needless to say I shot myself in the foot as it tests everything in detail. Just get yourself something bog standard that will tell you quickly yes/no good /bad pass/fail and leave it at that. Its a fantastic bit of kit, don't get me wrong, but way too much hassle. It will only give you a label if it has been tested and passed. I do every item once every 18 months or so. |Some things need doing 12 month ish and some a lot longer than that but to keep a track of the yearly 2 yearly etc will be a pain in the butt so I do it all at once. I also download all of the results to my laptop on proper Seaward documentation which used to be free but now is over £100 a year subscription. Once you start being a smart Alec then you have to carry on. Buy simple is my recommendation. The other school that was supposed to pay half, didn't, so it cost us a kings ransome in the end.
Don't argue with fools! They'll bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Gigantor
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 01 09:28

We've just got this one https://www.tester.co.uk/first-stop-saf ... pat-tester in December and I would recommend it.

it's a rechargeable unit which will carry out around 500 tests between charges and I can confirm this, having carried out 480 tests or so before the low battery light turned on.

It stores 2000 tests on the machine and can be downloaded onto PC into excel format, you can also select which test range you want downloaded e.g. 1-50, 68-225 all of them, etc.

Also if you use discount code 'COURSE20' you will receive £20 off from this site on all PAT testers.
"I know that you a really busy(And I can't be bothered), but..." "Could you just...?" "When you get a chance... No rush.(But what I actually mean is right now)"