Software for Maintenance logging

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

BillNomis
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 25 10:15

Software for Maintenance logging

Hi all.

I've been asked to set up a computer based Maintenance Log that can be added to by any of the teachers/support staff. it will need to show current standings, comments, registered by, contractors and completion details. Is anyone using a program that will cover these type of requirements? It will have to be cloud-based as our server doesn't have a great deal of space to play with.

Thanks for your help with this.

BillNomis
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 25 10:44

Re: Software for Maintenance logging

In the first instance, I would set up an excel spreadsheet with all of that on, make it so all can edit it and get the thumbnail on all devices..

I use IAMCompliant for everything but also have a jobs book outside my den that people can use
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 25 12:48

Just use google forms and google sheets.

No cost!

Form for logging by the staff.

Sheets that you can edit but they can view only.

'Live' document so multiple can access and edit at the same time (ie HT and you) plus doesn't matter if someone has left it open on their computer.
Goode87
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 25 18:19

The trust we belong to are looking into a piece of software called Parago - not sure how it works at the moment but they seem quite keen.
Derek N
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 25 18:54

Hi
I use a system called Spiceworks. My IT team also use it. They set my maintenance side of it up which works well keeps a log for everything that been repaired for future reference.
Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 26 01:35

OXSET wrote: Mon, 25th Jan 2021, 10:44am In the first instance, I would set up an excel spreadsheet with all of that on, make it so all can edit it and get the thumbnail on all devices..

I use IAMCompliant for everything but also have a jobs book outside my den that people can use
Ditto and has the advantage that all staff can use and update it. Cheaper than cheap.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower
btrousers
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 26 07:29

Trello, free to use as well, seems alright.
devotee
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 26 14:37

Ask your BM for DfE GEMS.
Free Excel sheet which they will require to show in governors meeting.
Mr Bit
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 26 20:18

Could just setup an email address strictly for repairs? I've found they don't fill out the forms and always end up emailing me so works for us, I believe Every has a module for repair logging too
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 27 07:48

In a past job i have used spiceworks.

It is pretty good when you have a multi person team but for a 1 man team it would be no better than a spreadsheet.

I now just use email it is easier for staff to use and I reply when the job is done so the reporter knows it has been actioned.

For anything with a H&S component to it or things that require contractors I have a simple form which I file, where I note the jobs and place it in a divider to show it's status either, Completed, Parts ordered, Long term/ wait for holidays/ capitol projects and finally assigned to contractors.

The email takes care of the more mundane requests "I'm out of paper towels or I want a notice board put up" and all the others go in the paper file where I can action them as appropriate " these would be things like "the picnic bench is broken or the carpet is lifting"
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Rawesie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 27 08:36

I've got an MS form linked on the intranet homepage, as its on office365 it logs who and when it is filled in automagically.

Tried to make it as teacherproof as possible, they only have 3 boxes to fill - where, what and a free text comments/notes (the first two are required to submit, the notes can be blank).

This form then emails me and adds a line to an excel sheet.

From the excel sheet i can then assign a priority, 1- Emergency - the roof is caving in, immediate attention type thing, 2- Urgent within 24hrs, 3-ASAP - 7 days, 4- Non-urgent - 30days (Originally i had this set so "they" could fill it in but, believe it or not, absolutely everything needed doing immediately!) Once a job has a priority assigned it then calculates a target completion date, if not marked as ongoing or complete before the target date the line turns red to show overdue.

When a job is complete i add what action was taken and move it to a termly completed jobs sheet, so when the "what do you actually do" comes up i can fire em that

Works really well for me in a 1FE primary, but i can see bigger sites needing something more in depth.
Rawesie

Sparky God, Ex fire alarm engineer and Royal Engineer veteran

"There's no such thing as problems - just opportunities for solutions...
...unless a teacher is involved, then you're gonna have problems"
Rash
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 05 13:42

There is a compliance software called EVERY. have a look into it.
Sgtspite1968
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 05 17:36

We use Google Drive (Docs), can be accessed remotely and docs shared.
Leatherface
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 07 03:48

We started using compliance software called smart log. Could be worth a look.

https://safesmart.co.uk/education/