Playground Sweepers

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Athena65
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2021 28 06:54

Playground Sweepers

Hi all!

First post!

Trying to make our new Caretakers life as easy as possible. Medium sized primary school but lots of trees and bushes and playground/paths etc. Manual sweeping is going to be a chore! So looking at reasonably priced equipment.

What do you all use?

Will something like a KARCHER Push Sweeper for Yard & Gardens S4 TWIN do the job or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks!
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Proud to be retired
Aug 2021 28 09:13

Re: Playground Sweepers

The caretaker in the school net to my house uses a blower and blows all the leaves etc. into the road that we share.!! -Angry.png-
Athena65
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2021 28 09:16

Yep that wouldn’t help! Already a fairly tricky situation with the local neighbours! I want something simple to operate that sweeps and collects as it goes along!
MainMon
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Aug 2021 28 10:07

Hi

I have used the push sweepers several times over the years different makes and models, They don't seem to like leaves especially in a morning when they are slightly damp, the push sweepers are now just gathering dust in the garage and I stick to a brush and shovel, I take a big bin around the car parks and yards with me and scoop directly into that. The push sweeper adverts look good but are terrible unless you have a perfectly level ground.
Athena65
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2021 28 10:19

MainMon wrote: Sat, 28th Aug 2021, 10:07am Hi

I have used the push sweepers several times over the years different makes and models, They don't seem to like leaves especially in a morning when they are slightly damp, the push sweepers are now just gathering dust in the garage and I stick to a brush and shovel, I take a big bin around the car parks and yards with me and scoop directly into that. The push sweeper adverts look good but are terrible unless you have a perfectly level ground.
Thanks! The areas are fairly level and flat, either playground, car park or block paving. I will have a think, maybe a combined approach with a leaf blower/vacuum ......
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2021 28 12:36

Always used a leaf blower to clean our playground with, a lot quicker than a hand broom. -Success.png-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
gadget300
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Aug 2021 28 17:05

Those bug brush sweepers are a waste of time, we leaf blowed to the corner/edges of the playground or area then changed to suck/shred to collect them all. If it was wet then we made a large squeegee out of an olde wide broom and a cable protector cut in half, on the playground this pushed all the wet leaves and any surface water all to the edge when we collected into bags with shovels.
RED ALERT.............

.....but Sir, that does mean changing the light bulb!
adonis2
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2021 28 17:11

Wet leaves are a nightmare, I find a snow shovel works well for picking up dry leaves.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Aug 2021 28 18:45

We had a Billygoat. Not one of the modern quieter ones, but the old style that you had to wear ear defenders with. Picked up leaves, tin cans, gravel and small stones... everything.
https://www.billygoat.com/eu/en_gb/prod ... cuums.html

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Athena65
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2021 28 18:48

thecaretaker wrote: Sat, 28th Aug 2021, 6:45pm We had a Billygoat. Not one of the modern quieter ones, but the old style that you had to wear ear defenders with. Picked up leaves, tin cans, gravel and small stones... everything.
https://www.billygoat.com/eu/en_gb/prod ... cuums.html
Thank you so much! I have been googling Goat! As I remembered that one of the first schools I worked at loved their Goat! But thought I had imagined it!!