Switching over to LED Lights

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 21 09:22

Switching over to LED Lights

I have found I can replace halogen bulbs with LED ones since these have officially been withdrawn from sale. I noticed that fluorescent tubes will also be withdrawn from Sept 2022 which will have a far greater impact. It made me wonder if you had plans in place, have you considered converting existing fittings to allow the use of LED tubes and if any of you had ballpark costs for either replacement or conversion for classrooms? Also, has anyone worked out the payback period, through LED light efficiencies, for this work?

Many thanks.
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 21 10:12

Re: Switching over to LED Lights

Thanks for the info Dexter. I thought they were phasing out sales of tubes in Sept 2023? (unless they have brought that date forward?)
You see, Rock and Roll isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force. It's something very essential. - The Edge.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 21 17:26

Sorry Rockstar. You are right it is Sept 2023. I was in a bit of a hurry.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Sep 2021 21 17:52

Are Blacklights (those tubes found in insect zappers) exempt from this ban or is it goodbye zapper? Never seen an LED zapper...

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
DanCotton
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Sep 2021 21 20:24

Hi, new member, first post so bear with me,
I know led are cheaper to run than fluorescent tubes but I wonder how many years it will be before the cost of replacement will be recouped? I know it's not always about the money and we have to think of the environment but I was just curious, we are having our tube units taken out and replaced with square led panels, they fit in the suspended ceilings nicely and look better than long tubes which even with led tubes in look old and outdated.
gadget300
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Sep 2021 21 23:24

Hi

Several years ago working out the return value of the switch to LED was around 2-5 years depending on the type of fitting, for instance the standard 600 square ceiling fitting used to house 4 * 22 watt tubes and the equivalent LED was around 30-35 watts so about 40%ish. But when they first came out the JCC sky tile was around £125 per unit, I pick up a Luxna equivalent now for £25.

Another thing to consider is the time saved, how many times a year do you change a starter or tube? All gone with LED, yes you get some that fail after a short period but that is a small percentage otherwise they last a long time. In my current role we have fitted thousands across 50 plus locations and have probably had about 10 fail in total.

Definitely a cost saver in the long run, just need an outlay in the first place. Worth doing
RED ALERT.............

.....but Sir, that does mean changing the light bulb!
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Sep 2021 21 23:57

DanCotton wrote: Tue, 21st Sep 2021, 8:24pm Hi, new member, first post so bear with me,
I know led are cheaper to run than fluorescent tubes but I wonder how many years it will be before the cost of replacement will be recouped? I know it's not always about the money and we have to think of the environment but I was just curious, we are having our tube units taken out and replaced with square led panels, they fit in the suspended ceilings nicely and look better than long tubes which even with led tubes in look old and outdated.
We had a survey done a few years ago and what it said was that classroom lights only take a handful of years while in cupboards it can be more like 15-20 (depending on usage), it is probably quicker than that now. We had a lot of the school converted and the cost savings has been considerable.
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 22 00:43

I have been replacing failing tubed units with led panels for the last few years, it kick starts the savings on energy but you have a mismatch of lighting. It's an easy sell to those who hold the purse strings
DanCotton
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Sep 2021 22 07:19

Good morning,

Thank you that's great, we've just had our 5 year fixed wiring check done and quite a few issues have arisen, some of the lights aren't as safe as they could be so I said to my office manager there's no point replacing the tube units with the same, If we need new then we may as well go with the more modern looking square led panels, I'd say 75% of the school is already up to date, having suspended ceilings installed made it a no brainer to go with the square units,

thanks for you're help :)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 22 07:33

DanCotton wrote: Tue, 21st Sep 2021, 8:24pm Hi, new member, first post so bear with me,
Suppliers or your electrical contractors should be able to complete a payback calculation so you will see how quickly the costs of LED panels are recovered. Halls hallways and classrooms will payback very quickly based upon the the time they are on during the day and should be targeted to replace first.

As gadget300 points out there is a considerable time saving too as well as no need to store Tubes etc.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-