Switching over to LED Lights

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Jomell
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 22 08:59

Re: Switching over to LED Lights

We changed over to LED lights last October, through our Academy Trust. It makes the school look so much better. Just make sure that you achieve the correct Lux levels (We had a survey carried out before and after conversion).
beagle
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 22 09:21

DanCotton wrote: Tue, 21st Sep 2021, 8:24pm Hi, new member, first post so bear with me,
I know led are cheaper to run than fluorescent tubes but I wonder how many years it will be before the cost of replacement will be recouped? I know it's not always about the money and we have to think of the environment but I was just curious, we are having our tube units taken out and replaced with square led panels, they fit in the suspended ceilings nicely and look better than long tubes which even with led tubes in look old and outdated.
We had all our lights replaced 3 years ago, we were spending £12k a year electric. After fitting this went down to around £4k so a £8k saving a year. The full refurb cost £28k so we have nearly paid it off in real terms. However we had a SALIX grant so we have to pay a percentage of the savings over 6 years to pay off the grant. we are approximately £3k a year better off at the moment, but in 3 years we will get the full saving.

We could have got the install done for £22k by converting some original fittings and others having retro fit lamps fitted, we decided that it would look nicer, plus be better value to get everything replaced new with quality fittings.
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain".
DanCotton
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Sep 2021 23 22:31

Oh wow that's a heck of a saving, thanks for sharing :)
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 24 09:13

Yeah, its a no brainer I think.

Lights are on all day everyday in schools and the light is of better quality for less money and running cost.

We are looking at filling in our LED lighting gaps, but despite budgetary pressures there is little urgency.
Bigbear69
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 24 09:41

Yep our savings on electricity were just under 50% use. Salix loan was about 21k, paying 3k back for 7 years.

The guarantee on lamp/ panel life isnt worth it though because they still charge you postage to send the replacement and you can source it for the same cost. So when they stop working just order from Screwfix etc plus you should get a small discount.

Only had 2 stop working in 5 years so really good compared to having to change old tubes