Street Lighting Bulb

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

rich76
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 15 15:28

Street Lighting Bulb

Hi all,
so a couple of our car park bulbs have gone. To be fair its 8 years since they were fitted.
Never taken much notice to be honest but, blimey they are expensive. Close to 50 quid each.
So question is, has anyone come up against this themselves, the bulb is a CPO -TW 60W/728 does anyone know if there is a cheap supplier out there or an equivalent bulb option ?
To be honest still a little in shock -JawDropped.png-
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 15 16:13

Re: Street Lighting Bulb

Might be better to get your electrician to swap to an LED fitting. no more maintenance and cheaper running costs.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2021 15 16:23

I agree with Vera. You have a problem m8.

From 1 October, shops will no longer be allowed to sell these energy draining bulbs. The UK began phasing out the energy guzzling halogen bulbs in 2018, with the government announcing in June that they would be pulled from shelves this year. The ban was originally meant to kick in on 1 September, but will now come into effect on 1 October.

LED light bulbs are much more energy efficient, using 80% less power than halogen bulbs, making them much cheaper to run.

You are going to need to replace the fittings m8. -Hah.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
JSD
Nov 2021 15 16:37

they had stopped making the bulbs for ours. we changed the whole top fitting on all of them a couple of years ago, the new LED ones are way better
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 15 16:56

thecaretaker wrote: Mon, 15th Nov 2021, 4:23pm I agree with Vera. You have a problem m8.

From 1 October, shops will no longer be allowed to sell these energy draining bulbs. The UK began phasing out the energy guzzling halogen bulbs in 2018, with the government announcing in June that they would be pulled from shelves this year. The ban was originally meant to kick in on 1 September, but will now come into effect on 1 October.

LED light bulbs are much more energy efficient, using 80% less power than halogen bulbs, making them much cheaper to run.

The lamps are halide type if I'm remembering right. To be honest I'm not sure if those types are being phased out but i wouldn't be surprized.

If you are replacing lighting poles be sure to use an LED fitting that has no up cast so as to maintain dark skies.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 15 18:38

The metal halide bulbs aren't on the list for banning yet, they are gas discharge lamps which have no filament ( halogen types)

They are quite energy efficient and take ages to get going, but I would look to replace them with LEDs as you will need a few halide bulbs to last as long as an LED unit.

Cheapest one I have seen is about 50GBP online, maybe a little less when the school claims back it's VAT.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 15 21:09

Although now retired, but for the last 3 or 4 years any light fitting that needed replacing I've replaced with led units, cheaper to run and now surprisingly cost affective -Like.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 17 07:22

thecaretaker wrote: Mon, 15th Nov 2021, 4:23pm I agree with Vera. You have a problem m8.

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have found out yesterday from our sparky that as from next 2022 you will not be able to be sold any Flourescent fittings, bulbs and what not. You may as well start getting everything transfered to LEDs now to save your hair from falling out next year if you already haven't bagged your supplies.
I had a sparky do an LED transfer quote yesterday and I trust him as I use him a lot and I kind of knew the whole discontinuation was going to happen but I didn't know when until he told me yesterday.
The power of the hour maketh you stronger for longer. -Success.png-
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 17 10:39

MWCracker wrote: Wed, 17th Nov 2021, 7:22am

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have found out yesterday from our sparky that as from next 2022 you will not be able to be sold any Flourescent fittings, bulbs and what not. You may as well start getting everything transfered to LEDs now to save your hair from falling out next year if you already haven't bagged your supplies.
I had a sparky do an LED transfer quote yesterday and I trust him as I use him a lot and I kind of knew the whole discontinuation was going to happen but I didn't know when until he told me yesterday.
Funnily enough, i have been looking into this after a request from our GOverning Body. As i have changed most of the fittings around our school to LED, other than the T5 flourescents i think i am ahead of the game (at the moment)

According to the .GOV website sales will be phased out and hopefully stopping in Sept 2023. though T5 should remain available.

Clicky
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.----------------------------------------
You reap what you sow!
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 17 12:20

Our school was rewired several years ago, they replaced all the 70-watt fluorescent fittings with 35-watt T5’s. Gradually as the T5 fittings started to fail I replaced them with led units, much brighter and more energy efficient. The only problem with the new cheaper led fittings we went for is they are not dimmable.

You can now buy replacement led T5 lamps, not sure what the retro fitting requirements are or if they are dimmable though?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-