Street Lighting Bulb

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 17 13:56

Re: Street Lighting Bulb

Did you guys replace these fittings yourself ? I'm presuming you aren't electricians already. Did you find a training course to do some wiring, mainly lighting, but it may be a socket replacement, that kind of thing.

I am looking for one after this years Performance Management interview. That and one for chopping down trees.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2021 17 15:04

AndyCornwall wrote: Wed, 17th Nov 2021, 1:56pm Did you guys replace these fittings yourself ?
No our electrician could source the fittings cheaper than we could, lamps I would happily replace but not fittings.
Good luck with your performance management tasks, always a problem for me every year finding new exiting and dynamic tasks... -Neutral.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
Sgtspite1968
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 17 18:18

Swap the lamp head for LED, will cost £200 per unit, but no further cost after that! -Success.png-
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 18 08:48

Keyolder wrote: Wed, 17th Nov 2021, 3:04pm No our electrician could source the fittings cheaper than we could, lamps I would happily replace but not fittings.
Good luck with your performance management tasks, always a problem for me every year finding new exiting and dynamic tasks... -Neutral.png-
I always ask for training, it makes it easy to log when I don't get it. I have targets like complete check lists, might as well have lock up at night or replace the toilet rolls.

Sadly it feels much like a check list, a box to tick.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2021 18 09:38

AndyCornwall wrote: Thu, 18th Nov 2021, 8:48am I have targets like complete check lists, might as well have lock up at night or replace the toilet rolls.

Sadly it feels much like a check list, a box to tick.
I always felt the same way -Neutral.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
grimoopnorth
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 18 12:58

We had the same thing happen at my school. We swapped two of the heads for a t bar with twin led spotlights. They are much brighter,use less energy. can be adjusted easily, and are easy to swap for new units later on.
rich76
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 18 23:05

Cheers for all the advice guys and gals. Appreciate it. Our Sparks is coming out nxt week to have a look at replacing with LED. Thanks again -Like.png-
Richard M
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 19 00:47

Keyolder wrote: Wed, 17th Nov 2021, 12:20pm Our school was rewired several years ago, they replaced all the 70-watt fluorescent fittings with 35-watt T5’s. Gradually as the T5 fittings started to fail I replaced them with led units, much brighter and more energy efficient. The only problem with the new cheaper led fittings we went for is they are not dimmable.

You can now buy replacement led T5 lamps, not sure what the retro fitting requirements are or if they are dimmable though?
Be useful to see any cost comparisons. I believe the costs of old lamps and longer term electricity costs compared to LED consumption compare favourably within 2 years. Plus you are not replacing bulbs nearly as often which is also a significant cost if you are WAH etc.
MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 07:47

So What qualification of electrician do you have to be to be able to change and add sockets and change light fittings in a school? I was told you should get someone who is competent by our Council. Our council say's it's someone who is qualified.

Here's the meaning of competent in the dictionary.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... /competent

So when people say get someone who is competent look at the dictionary, if you fit the description then you qualify to do the tasks. Don't you?

HSE say competent pwerson to do the job too..

So therefore, because I worked with an electrician for over 8 years and doing other building and plumbing work since I was a kid, being left to wire houses on my own and getting all cables back to the fuse board and fitting new lights,sockets etc.. I feel that I qualify as a competent person to do the task. The only things I don't know a great deal about is the Dali systems which we have in the new build part of the school.

But, saying that.... You are best to get a cerified electrician as they would be covered under the schools insurance more than you would be, and they have public liability so if anything goes wrong they pay out.
The power of the hour maketh you stronger for longer. -Success.png-
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 08:12

MWCracker wrote: Thu, 25th Nov 2021, 7:47am So What qualification of electrician do you have to be to be able to change and add sockets and change light fittings in a school? I was told you should get someone who is competent by our Council. Our council say's it's someone who is qualified.

Here's the meaning of competent in the dictionary.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... /competent

So when people say get someone who is competent look at the dictionary, if you fit the description then you qualify to do the tasks. Don't you?

HSE say competent pwerson to do the job too..

So therefore, because I worked with an electrician for over 8 years and doing other building and plumbing work since I was a kid, being left to wire houses on my own and getting all cables back to the fuse board and fitting new lights,sockets etc.. I feel that I qualify as a competent person to do the task. The only things I don't know a great deal about is the Dali systems which we have in the new build part of the school.

But, saying that.... You are best to get a cerified electrician as they would be covered under the schools insurance more than you would be, and they have public liability so if anything goes wrong they pay out.
To be qualified is a demonstration of competence.
To do work in a school you will need someone who can demonstrate competence and has the relevant accreditation with insurance backup.

In essence get an electrical contractor who is signed up to one of the quality control schemes run by NICEIC, ELECSA or any others.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-