Water testing

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

nicko
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 10 12:14

Water testing

Hi guys just wondering after 10 years there is now a training course i was going on this week but due to covid cancelled .
since working in schools i have always done the leginella training online now these a manual course anyone done something like this i have always been told run tap for several mins then take reading which i do run all taps that dont get used all the time run showers etc thanks nick
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 10 13:42

Re: Water testing

Well if you are flushing little used outlets they might need a minute or two maybe longer during the school holidays.

If you are taking temperatures then there's a maximum time before which the required temperature should be met.

I've never had anymore training than a basic online course, but the requirements are easy to understand. It's nice to have an actual course with people who can answer questions I find.
JonOfham
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 10 19:48

I remember going on a face to face legionalla course 'bout 6 years ago. Was boring as hell.
The guy who did it was a plumber. He reminded me of Mickey Flannigan, but wasn't anywhere near as entertaining. The course literally consisted of him showing us pictures and slides and telling us how in his spare time he liked to experiment with biofilm.
Funny thing was, at the time we employed a contractor to check temperatures, and all our supplies were mains fed. All I was required to do was flush outlets at the end of every holiday. Why that required me going on a course I don't know, but it got me the day off and there were free biscuits.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 10 20:22

We employed an outside contractor who did everything related to water including cleaning mains water tanks, TMV valves and legionella, a report was than e-maled to the BM and any problems found highlighted in red print for us to take the nessasery action by either getting them in to correct it or something i could mange, reports and conclusions all filed away ready for OFSTEAD. [Success.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
nicko
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 10 21:41

JonOfham wrote: Mon, 10th Jan 2022, 7:48pm I remember going on a face to face legionalla course 'bout 6 years ago. Was boring as hell.
The guy who did it was a plumber. He reminded me of Mickey Flannigan, but wasn't anywhere near as entertaining. The course literally consisted of him showing us pictures and slides and telling us how in his spare time he liked to experiment with biofilm.
Funny thing was, at the time we employed a contractor to check temperatures, and all our supplies were mains fed. All I was required to do was flush outlets at the end of every holiday. Why that required me going on a course I don't know, but it got me the day off and there were free biscuits.
Thats what i think done legionella courses every 2 or 3 years been testing water in 4 school for 10 years and think this will be so boring
MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 11 07:18

We are in an SLA which covers the temperature checks being done so all I have to do is flush the unions and showers for 5 minutes once a week. I wouldn't have the time to do these otherwise the other compliancy bits won't get done with my work scale.
The power of the hour maketh you stronger for longer. -Success.png-
Marsh Harrier
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 14 14:12

Hi there are plenty of online courses you can take. I did a Commodious advanced legionella course for £10 very good. You should run the hot for upto a minute and cold for two, if not you may need to add these outlets to your flushing log or you may have a faulty TMV if fitted.
Temp Blended (TMV) = 39-45 degrees hot below 20 degrees for cold
non Blended (No TMV) Depends on your Clarifier (hot water boiler) setting usually 60 degrees or above as close to for hot
Cold below 20 degrees this will very on ground temp 8-10 degrees usually.

hope this helps
Marsh