Cordless Vacuum Cleaners

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

ecoadam80
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 04 13:01

Cordless Vacuum Cleaners

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone had experience with cordless vacuum cleaners in a school environment. I'm thinking that they would greatly speed up, and improve the finished result, on staircases etc. as opposed to traditional sweeping.

The backpack vacuums are way out of my price range but a domestic 'Dyson Animal' style thing is achievable.

Look forward to hearing your advice folks :)
adonis2
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 04 13:19

Re: Cordless Vacuum Cleaners

I would like a cordless one for myself at work, for those little bits of mess when you do a job.
Some cleaners don't bother changing the vacuum bag, do you think they will put a cordless one on charge. [Mad.png]

Be interesting if anyone does use cordless and what they think of them.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
May 2022 04 13:38

Can’t speak for a larger school environment but we have a cordless Dyson V10 vacuum at home, in normal mode it lasts a few days with occasional use before it needs charging. In high power mode it only lasts 15 to 20 minutes before its drained.

I suspect cleaners would default to the high-power setting as more suction is available, charging it up again takes over an hour.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 04 14:06

Wondered this myself a few years ago, but looking at thr costs (at the time) I quickly disregarded the idea.

On the subject of Dyson machines though, be careful as they don't do commercial machines, therefore any warranty would be null and void. I did ask the question to Dyson directly, and they did confirm exactly that.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 04 14:38

Our cleaning contractors have just brought in 2 henry cordless vacuums.

They are useless 1 1/2 classrooms and the battery is flat the cleaners won't use them. If you had a bank of 3 or 4 batteries to go at it might be ok but they come with one as standard... [Shock.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
May 2022 04 22:12

We had a couple of Shark cordless vacuums which were good for smaller areas like our tiered auditorium seating or the foyer but i wouldn't recommend them for daily classroom use
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 05 08:55

At a school I open up for occasionally the cleaning contractors had cordless Henry type vacuums when they started the contract. Was about 2 months later I noticed they had all swapped to the corded versions!
MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 06 06:50

Hi all

Our cleaning contractor has 3 cordless upright ones with their company name on them and they only last 25-30 minutes. they were good to use in the infant building when the kids are around but as said by others you need multiple batteries if you want the whole school cleaned and if the battery dies the cleaners won't wait until the end of their shift to put them on charge they will take them as soon as the batteries dead which is less productivity.
I'm hoping to have our cleaning come back in house next year and until they make a cordless vacuum that can last 3-4 hours I will keep to the corded.
The power of the hour maketh you stronger for longer. -Success.png-
Barnet
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 12 10:14

ecoadam80 wrote: Wed, 4th May 2022, 1:01pm Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone had experience with cordless vacuum cleaners in a school environment. I'm thinking that they would greatly speed up, and improve the finished result, on staircases etc. as opposed to traditional sweeping.

The backpack vacuums are way out of my price range but a domestic 'Dyson Animal' style thing is achievable.

Look forward to hearing your advice folks :)
Hi, I can't fault our Henry and Mastervac MV12's, but there is a definite place for our Makita cordless vacs (I think they were only about £30) for some spot cleaning, stairwells, or when you just need to speed through a few rooms that will look 'good enough' until its next properly vacuum cleaned.
ste
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
May 2022 20 20:48

I use a Dyson at school but you have to go for it, it is ideal for mainly picking up bits but not suitable for whole carpet areas
as the battery has limited use.

ste